• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Avid Free DV and Video Editing

Reaction score
Hi,

I've searched far and wide for a free video editing software that does more than iMovie for the amateur movie editor.....but havnt come across anything yet. im a student interested in this area but obviously dont have £200 to go and spend on Final Cut Express......

The best result i've got for 'free video editing software' for macs is Avid Free DV, and it looks great!! Only problem is......Avid have discontinued this product, and i cant seem to find a download spot anywhere. Does anyone know of a still working download spot, because all the ones i've found lead straight back to the Avid site? Or better still, does anyone else have the downloaded file still that they could send me?

Any help greatly appreciated!! Thanks,

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Even if you could find a download location (Avid has issued cease and desist orders to sites that still have it available online), you won't be able to get a legitimate serial number for it since it has been discontinued as of Sept 2007. It required a serial number for it to be functional, so just the download itself wouldn't be of much use.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely that Avid will offer the Avid Free DV again.

M

MacHeadCase

As digitalscrap pointed out, Avid is obviously serious about not having this software around anymore for download.

For the equivalent software, either look for Edu discounts or look at eBay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.