Education???

G

Gamer

I live in Canada and am looking for a new iBook I am in grade 11 (highschool) how do I get a eductional discount outside of university?

OP
P

pitythefool

I don't know about Canada, but I think the short answer is, generally, you don't. Other than ask a friend in higher education to buy it for you ;)

OP
O

octohunter

I live in Boston and I am a PhD student at U.Glasgow in Scotland. Apple would not grant me the educational discount due to the fact my academic institution is not in the states.
I also don't believe the discount is really that much. There is really no way around it- Macs are hugely expensive. Just remember, your Mac will last longer than the next 3 PCs you buy. A PC is outdated in about 6 months and a Mac just seems to keep chugging along for years. The new G5 imac seems a great value and I can't see it being dated any time soon, especially for student use.

Good luck!

OP
P

pitythefool

The discount is quite good - I saved around 10% - that's £20 off an iPod and £70 off an iBook. Add to that the Cram & Jam deal (another £130), and you're looking at a 'free' iPod...

Octohunter - surely you can purchase from the UK Education store if you're at uni in Scotland?

OP
O

octohunter

Thanks for the advice but I think with the conversion rate it would actually end up costing me more. 1 GBP to about .6 USD. Everything I buy in the UK is bloody expensive to me. A cup of tea is about 4.50 USD and a GBP spends just like a dollar (most prices listed are equal, just different currencies.)

OP
T

tariq

octo i dont know what PC's you're buying, but for the same price as you would pay for an apple desktop, you can get a great PC that will last at least 3-4 years, and even longer if you don't mind slower performance

OP
G

Gamer

tariq said:
octo i dont know what PC's you're buying, but for the same price as you would pay for an apple desktop, you can get a great PC that will last at least 3-4 years, and even longer if you don't mind slower performance
Thanks, but Apple's last twice as long without slower profomence

OP
T

tariq

so you're saying a 400mhz G3 which is only 5 years old (as opposed to "twice as long", around 8-10 years?) is not slow by today's standards?

you're welcome

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

tariq said:
so you're saying a 400mhz G3 which is only 5 years old (as opposed to "twice as long", around 8-10 years?) is not slow by today's standards?

you're welcome

[Tangent!]

I don't think it is a question of speed, but a question of usability.
A PC user is more likely to replace their 500mhz laptop with a 3ghz one rather than keep using the former.

While a Mac user seems more likely to keep using the G3 400 rather than upgrade to the G4 1.2ghz

[/Tangent!]

OP
T

tariq

hehe i knew someone would bring that point up :)
thats true, and i fully agree with it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.