• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you have an HDTV?

Reaction score
I have some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm shopping around for a new HDTV.

What brand did you buy?

What size?

What type? (Plasma, LCD, Rear Projection)

Are you happy with it?

What would you change about yours if you could?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have a 32" Samsung LN-3253H LCD HDTV. It's the shiny piano black model with the hidden buttons and speakers. It has the same excact finish as the PS3, so they compliment each other nicely.
The contrast ratio is pretty high and the details are crisp with the 720p resolution.
I asked a video sales person at work what LCD HDTV's were best and he recommended Samsung in the under $1000 price range.
I wish they made something inbetween 32" and 40", otherwise, I couldn't be an ounce happier with my TV.
It's dropped $150 since I purchased it; I think I saw it around $700 these days.

Reaction score
32in Polaroid LCD - No universal remotes work with it, but has a really solid picture and a decent amount of inputs
42in Phillips LCD - HDMI inputs only allow audio over HDMI(no option of using RCA for audio like I have seen in others) and no VGA input

No complaints about either, but I no longer get DirecTV service so my selection of television in HD is rather limited so mainly they just get used for DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay and Games.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Samsung makes a 37" LCD. I am actually leaning toward it. Either that or the 42" model.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
No complaints about either, but I no longer get DirecTV service so my selection of television in HD is rather limited so mainly they just get used for DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay and Games.

If your TV has a HDTV tuner built in, you can receive over the air HDTV through a HD antenna. The picture is actually better in a lot of cases than cable HD because the signal isn't compressed.

Reaction score
If your TV has a HDTV tuner built in, you can receive over the air HDTV through a HD antenna. The picture is actually better in a lot of cases than cable HD because the signal isn't compressed.

Yup, but around here in Indianapolis we don't get many stations and there is seldom anything I want to watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Samsung makes a 37" LCD. I am actually leaning toward it. Either that or the 42" model.

I meant Samsung. I really wanted the model with the Piano Black finish. Samsung does make my model in a 37" version except it's hard to come by because it isn't a popular size. Almost the same price as the 40" version.
Sorry, it's the LN-T3253H. Exchange the 32 in the model number what size you're interested in (37 or 40).

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Yup, but around here in Indianapolis we don't get many stations and there is seldom anything I want to watch.

My criteria for "good TV" goes down quite a bit with high definition. If it's in HD, I'll watch it. :D

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I meant Samsung. I really wanted the model with the Piano Black finish. Samsung does make my model in a 37" version except it's hard to come by because it isn't a popular size. Almost the same price as the 40" version.
Sorry, it's the LN-T3253H. Exchange the 32 in the model number what size you're interested in (37 or 40).

They have so many numbers and letters in their model names. It's so confusing!

I haven't decided which model I'll be getting yet. I really like the Samsung stuff though. They stand out amongst the wall of TVs.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have two Sharp 45" AQUOS LCDs and one Magnavox 19" LCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i bought one yesterday!
a sanyo 19" lcd
the only thing i wish it had was a dvi (or vga) input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Ok....

Personally I have a 42 Samsung Plasma... I have a 27 LCD in my kids room but personally I love Plasma... the rule of thumb is if your going to play a lot of Xbox PS3 etc.. go with LCD because you don't want to risk plasma Burn on a regular Plasma..

2 Brands I love for Flat Screens are Samsung and LG just make sure you get the extended 3 year In Home Warranty or you will be sorry..

Good Luck

M

MacHeadCase

We bought about ten months ago a Toshiba 32" Regza 32HL66. We have the Samsung Blu-Ray BDP1400 DVD player to watch movies on it.

The best TV I have seen so far is the Pioneer Elite 52". I have never seen such a high quality image ever, not even in movie theatres. It's simply jaw dropping quality.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Ok....

Personally I have a 42 Samsung Plasma... I have a 27 LCD in my kids room but personally I love Plasma... the rule of thumb is if your going to play a lot of Xbox PS3 etc.. go with LCD because you don't want to risk plasma Burn on a regular Plasma..

I thought the LGs looked very good also. They are in the running.

I am debating on whether to go with LCD or plasma. There are some great deals on plasma TVs right now. It seems that most companies are making fewer plasmas and more LCDs.

2 Brands I love for Flat Screens are Samsung and LG just make sure you get the extended 3 year In Home Warranty or you will be sorry..

Good Luck

Have you had issues with your TVs?

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
The best TV I have seen so far is the Pioneer Elite 52". I have never seen such a high quality image ever, not even in movie theatres. It's simply jaw dropping quality.

Those are staggering! So is the price! :eek:

M

MacHeadCase

They're around $6,000 CAN I believe. I have also seen a TV that costs $25,000 CAN: it was enormous (can't remember if it was a ProScan or what) but to my taste, the Pioneer Elite's image was better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
Sharp 37" LCD Gamer TV. 2ms response time with full 1080p and a 4000:1 contrast ratio. I love my TV. xbox360 games look great.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm shopping around for a new HDTV.

What brand did you buy?

Sharp AQUOS

What size?

37"

What type? (Plasma, LCD, Rear Projection)

LCD (flat panel)

Are you happy with it?

Very much, despite the shortcomings of LCD technology.

What would you change about yours if you could?

Black levels are a problem with LCDs as are viewing angles. The AQUOS line is better than most, but not nearly as good as plasma. Unfortunately, due to the size of the cabinet it's installed in, I was limited to 37" - which they don't make plasmas that small.

If you can do 42" or larger, go with plasma (IMO).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I just ecenly bought a 42" Samsung Plasma. It isn't completely top of the line, but it works well enough or me. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.