basic help

Reaction score
Hi

can anyone help with some basic but irritating problems concerning my newly acquired imac (an older model) running tiger 10.4.11

1. minor but still annoying, when I change my dock settings to suit me they are never saved and appear differently when I return from sleep mode or shutdown.

2. Home page changes are not saved on my internet preferences.

3. the most annoying, when I set up my email pop account using the mail icon in the dock the settings are not saved causing me to redo every time i come back to my mac.

Is this a key chain problem?

please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When you got your Mac, did you start using it right away or did you do a clean install of OS X from the restore discs (I'm assuming you got these discs)?

If you haven't done a clean install, I would suggest doing so and starting fresh. You never know what might be lurking in the background of a used computer. Do this even if the seller told you he wiped it, because you never know.

More likely than not, this will solve the troubles you're having. If you don't want to do a clean install, you could try repairing permissions to see if that's causing the problems.

OP
A
Reaction score
hi

I got the mac from my father inlaw so I know its history. I have the disks mentioned but dont really want to clean install as I have already begun to change things?

regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Did you, by any chance, rename the home folder?

M

MacHeadCase

If you haven't renamed your Home folder like technologist asks... (Renaming manually the Home folder creates havoc)

Download MainMenu from Santa Software and install it.

Launch it, it will appear as a + (plus sign) in a small rectangle in the menubar.

In the cleaning tasks, run the Clean User Cache -> All Users and the System Cache -> Deep Clean scripts.

Restart.

See if this helps. Report back to let us know how it went.

Good luck! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.