Mac Book overheats then shuts down

Reaction score
hi, i have a mac book. when i play games on it, the fans is audible. after an hour of game play the computer just shuts down. it's overheating. i have smc fan control and it says that my mac runs at over 100 degrees when i'm playing that game. anyone know what's up?

thanks for help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
100 Degrees Centigrade? If so that is way too hot.

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to proper forum - More than likely a hardware not an OS X issue*

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
water's boiling point is far too hot. don't play that game anymore, or if possible, lower the graphics settings as much as you can and try it again for a short time and see if you see lower readings. i wouldn't keep mine pegged at more than about 170F (about 76-77C) for more than a few minutes at a time if i could help it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
Just curious, what game is causing this to happen ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does this not strike the rest of you as a warranty issue?

Frankly, the cooling systems built into your MacBook should be adequate to address any thermal conditions you can hope to produce. SMC Fan Control should be redundant, as the machine should handle thermal controls all by itself.

OP
Y
Reaction score
like all games. but runescape in particular. it also shuts down during videos... :Oops:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
could be cwa, but i've tried a few games that drive my mb into the 190 range. obviously i've stopped playing those games. i think that the mb just has a bit too much capability for it's cooling potential. that one fan and mostly closed chassis just can't dissipate heat fast enough under very high load.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
could be cwa, but i've tried a few games that drive my mb into the 190 range. obviously i've stopped playing those games. i think that the mb just has a bit too much capability for it's cooling potential. that one fan and mostly closed chassis just can't dissipate heat fast enough under very high load.

Understood, but I don't remember seeing any asterisks in Apple's marketing that say "you can't use this machine to its fullest capacity or it will overheat and shut down". I could understand if it were being used in a manner for which it wasn't designed (like on someone's lap). But in room temperature, sitting on a firm surface that allows for circulation, it should not be overheating. JMO...

M

MacHeadCase

Yep, I think you should take it back in for repairs. You're still under warranty?

This isn't normal behaviour at all.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Understood, but I don't remember seeing any asterisks in Apple's marketing that say "you can't use this machine to its fullest capacity or it will overheat and shut down". I could understand if it were being used in a manner for which it wasn't designed (like on someone's lap). But in room temperature, sitting on a firm surface that allows for circulation, it should not be overheating. JMO...

i wish you had been working at HP prior to them building the 17" zd7000 and zd8000 line. they had pretty decent graphics cards in them, but overheated and melted them frequently (including mine).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i wish you had been working at HP prior to them building the 17" zd7000 and zd8000 line. they had pretty decent graphics cards in them, but overheated and melted them frequently (including mine).

Wow - of course, with HP, nothing surprises me. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to call each one of my HP/Compaq TC4200s in for warranty work because of the poor design of the rotating screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.