startup issues with my mac pro and display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
This is weird, but for the past few days when I start up my mac, one of my displays ( i have 2) gets this thing on the side with a bunch of missing pixels. It sort of looks like a bar code almost. Then when the leopard starts, the display is fine.

I did an apple hardware test with the disk, and it says everything is ok. I am wondering if it is the video card (ati). I don't think it is the display itself.

Also, the other day, the screen saver froze the entire computer and I had to push the power button to restart. I have also had it freeze once when just sitting idle.

The only other extras I have are ram (non apple) and a sonnet pci usb card.

Is there any other specific test I can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That video card needs to be cleaned quite regularly. Is there any dust build-up on the fan for the video card?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
well, it is only a month old, but I guess I can crack it open and see if it needs a blast of canned air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
well, it is only a month old, but I guess I can crack it open and see if it needs a blast of canned air.

Oh, it's only a month old? I would just call Apple and see what they have to say. Doesn't sound like a big issue if it corrects itself before OS X loads but it could be the start of something bigger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.