.DS_store / Network visible.

Reaction score
So I received my new Macbookpro in the summer, it replaced my powerbook which unexpectedly died. So i wanted to take my library off of my ipod and put it onto my new computer. My older brother used terminal to turn on some sort of secret files so that he could go into my ipod and pull all the files off of it. Now this worked fine and dandy, except now and ever since then. Everytime i turn my computer on I get a small blank file called .DS_store on my desktop. As well as a network icon that cant be removed. The .DS_store also appears in any folder within my HD, new or old. I tried to search on how to get rid of these but none of the explainations pertained to the situation in which this all began. I cant ask him what he did as he is off traveling without his computer.

Thank you in advance. And if this in the wrong forum, could you please tell me where it should be and ill remove and move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The .DS_store file just includes some mac specific info about icons and such stuff

deleting them will not do any harm but better to leave them as is

OP
R
Reaction score
mhmm. but as soon as i do delete them, they reappear almost instantaneously. They are supposed to be hidden, and im guessing when he used terminal to make the hidden files visible, that he didnt turn them back so that they were hidden again. Im wondering how to do this..

thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The .DS_store file, can be deleted. But it will be recreated again, when access the folder you deleted from. I believe like louishen stated these little files/documents contain basic windowing configuration information. Like where the finder window was located on your screen...

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes. Thank you, but what im saying, is they were once hidden, and i would like to know how to re'hide' them again so that they arent visible. Theyre always there, just usually they are invisible.

Thank you though for your help.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Rmease.

Download MainMenu from Santa Software, install and launch it (it will appear as a + - plus sign - in a small rectangle in the menubar) and, in the Finder section, select Hide Invisibles.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you very much MacHeadCase, and dtravis7, yes that link solved my problem. Thank you guys very much. My screen is clear if clutter.

This thread can slowly die now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In the future if you want to unhide try MacHeadCase's suggestion and use the little application Main Menu. Works well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.