• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

JVC Everio GZ HD7/Macbookpro.. problem.

Reaction score
Hey,

So I got my new JVC the other day. Shot some small clips to try it out.
I shot the clips in 1440 CBR. I have quicktime pro. There is also some mpeg2 codec that i can also download for a fee. I also installed the program that came with the camcorder for quicktime.

So I hook up the camcorder to power, then hook it up to my mac via the USB cable. Then Turn it on. On the Camcorders screen it says "Playback on PC" Which in the manual it says to click for playback/copying to your HD so you can edit. So i click that. The Icon pops up on my desktop, and iPhoto opens wanting to copy any photos that I've take on my camcorder to my HD. I click on "everio_HDD" then open up "SD_video" i then click on "PRG002" and all I have inside are;

MOV002.MOI
MOV002.TOD
MOV003.MOI
MOV003.MOI
PRG002.PRG

There are no .MOD files visible, is this because I dont have the .MPEG2 codec downloaded ? In this video (http://www.simplesurvivalmoves.com/...nstructions.mp4 ) it shows the .MOD icos above the MOI's and TOD's. Im not sure what the MOIs and TODs are so yeah.

I watched this video ( http://media2.jvc.com/camcorder/macHD.mov ) but i dont have a firewire cable so I think i need that to make that process work.

I hope that somebody can help me with my plight.

Thank you very much.

Ps, i have used the search function and havent been able to answer my question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2.6, 4GB, 200 GB, Hi-Res Glossy
It has been my experience in the past, with various camcorders that the USB cable is strictly used for accessing data stored on the memory card (Still images), not for transferring video.

I have always had to have a firewire cable in order to transfer video.

I am actually looking at buying a JVC GZ-HD7 myself, I have read tons of conflicting informations but, the bottom line is it can be done.

Hopefully this helps a little.

Also take a look at this: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1075994

Reaction score
I have the same camera and computer. What I pull over from the camera via USB are the TOD files. I then open those in QT and convert them to h.264 files.

*edit* sorry thats what I do for SD and Full HD. I haven't shot in 1440.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Ghouldrool is right. The .MOD files are on a standard definition JVC Everio, the .TOD are on the High Def models of the Everio.

You can do the same with the .tod as the .mod. You've got all the right steps.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.