USB Port loses power

Reaction score
Hi.
My problem is everytime I close the Lid of my Macbook and after waking my Macbook up from sleep again, my external mouse does not work anymore!
The USB Port seems to lose its power, because the light of the optical mouse just shines very very dimmy.

Is there a fix for this? This is VERY annoying to me, and shouldn't be a problem at all, since Apple says that "Mac just works".

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that is odd.

i have often kept an external drive mounted through numerous sleep periods (through the apple menu or by closing the lid). i wonder if there is a power issue on this machine? have you tried the other usb port?

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes, I tried the other port! Usually if the problem occures I will unplug the mouse and plug it into the other USB Port. Then when I close the lid again and reopen it, I can't use both ports :( So I must stick to the touch pad. :/

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
strange.

have you tried doing a power reset (think it's called a pmu). shut down the mac, pull the battery, hold the power button down for at least 5 seconds, then release, replace the battery, and startup.

also, do you have another peripheral to test it with, like a freshly formatted usb powered hard drive (just in case things go horribly wrong :eek: )? then at least you can say for sure it's the ports or the peripheral.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.