Just got a netgear wireless router, but I need to lock it

Reaction score
Even when I open the system preferences and set the router to have a WEP password, it shows up on both my mac and my laptop as being unlocked.

Anyone know how to put a password on my router?

The router is hooked up to a PC desktop, and wirelessly to a mac and a rental laptop.
The desktop pc its hard connected to has internet, as do the mac and the laptop. But when I try to connect wirelessly to the netgear network it appears as unlocked and does not require a password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Have you gone through your gateway addy? (192.168.1.1 in your address bar on the PC the router is hooked up to)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Even when I open the system preferences and set the router to have a WEP password, it shows up on both my mac and my laptop as being unlocked.

Anyone know how to put a password on my router?

The router is hooked up to a PC desktop, and wirelessly to a mac and a rental laptop.
The desktop pc its hard connected to has internet, as do the mac and the laptop. But when I try to connect wirelessly to the netgear network it appears as unlocked and does not require a password.

Have you read the book thing that comes when your router? Have you checked Netgear's support site?

OP
A
Reaction score
nevermind!
about two hours of three different IT people and its working now.
no clue what happened before, it just wasnt really responding.

but to anyone wanting to know, i got a netgear 802.11b/g/n router and its incredibly fast.

Now ive got my spankin' new iMac in my room with only the power cord showing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.