A new iMac owner's first impressions plus a question

Reaction score
To sum up: I love the **** thing! It's dead quiet!

Specs
2 GHz 1 GB (The low end iMac)

OS X
Thumbs way up. It is slick!

Keyboard
Without a doubt the best keyboard I've ever used. I might buy one for my Windows box if it will work.

Mouse
Takes some getting used to but overall not bad. I wish it were bigger.

Numbers (iWork)
Intelligent tables. The feature I've wanted in a spreadsheet since the dawn of spreadsheets. I would not own an iMac right now if this application didn't exist.

Can anyone recommend a good OS X book for a new user? I hear the author Robin Williams is popular. I need something that covers the basic apps like Safari, Finder, and the widgets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
To be honest - you would be better off just sticking to this forum, people on here can answer your questions better than any book

But if a newbie knows of a great book then post it up

keyboard - yes it will work with a PC

Mouse - the mac mouse is great but most quality PC mice will work (ie not the really cheapo ones)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Definitely "The Missing Manual". If you read through that, YOU will be handing out advice on these forums! :D Enjoy your new Mac!

Reaction score
Robin Williams' Little Mac Book, if anything like its predecessors, is great for a quick read and referencing. David Pogue's much thicker but eminently readable Missing Manual, like mac57 says, probably tops any list of Mac how-to books.

I haven't checked, though, to see if either of them focus on Leopard yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
David Pogue's, Missing Manual is the best reference available. The Leopard edition is not out yet, but I was able to pre-order a copy from Amazon. I think it will be out sometime in Jan. I want it in my possession when I make the change from Tiger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.