Iphone can be unlocked to be used by other carriers?

Reaction score
Annapolis, MD but a Cali girl to the core!
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4, Ipod Nano Gen 3 & Gen 2
Has anyone else heard this? That some how the phone can be unlocked to be used with other carriers other than AT&T? It sounds odd to me but didn't know if it was just something my uncle was pulling my leg about...since he like to mock my love for MAC products...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah, it's been done. But it required taking it apart if I remember right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Has anyone else heard this? That some how the phone can be unlocked to be used with other carriers other than AT&T? It sounds odd to me but didn't know if it was just something my uncle was pulling my leg about...since he like to mock my love for MAC products...
Yes, it can be done though it breaks the EULA and is therefore not able to be discussed here.

:).. and it isn't a MAC product or even a Mac product... it is an Apple product. :D

OP
I
Reaction score
Annapolis, MD but a Cali girl to the core!
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4, Ipod Nano Gen 3 & Gen 2
Thanks for the info...And the correction...I wouldn't try to even do that but just wondered if it was fact or just more mocking...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
Cingular will unlock only for military or governmental workers. Legally that is. To be honest its not worth the trouble and losing your warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

How long were you stranded on the island?

Reaction score
StealthSim

I have T.Mo and the newest software version of 1.1.2 OTB( BTW it is the most expensive to unlock there is.) which is the best so far using StealthSim and it doesn't void your warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel/iMac Intel/iBook G4/iPod Rev2/iPhone 1.1.2
hello mac people

Here in UK it can be done no problem, but the most expensive software (about US$80) is the only one that really works and allows you to upgrade firmware, use EDGE/Ansafone etc.

Gotta say though, as a long-term Mac user the iPhone is a bit crap. No video, no flash, no SMS forwarding, restrictions to POP mail provider, restriction on carrier (which has really got my blood boiling - dunno about Stateside but we have to sign to an 18 month minimum contract, the cheapest of which is US$70 per month).

Anyway, I s'pose it looks nice and is clever in other departments. Not a patch on my new BlackBerry though! :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Reaction score
My rant and rave!!!

Yeah unfortunately alot of people don't like the limitations of the iPhone.....But I swear the designers left a back door it on purpose IE jail breaking it.... Apple is too smart to "really" lock that phone. It isn't nearly as expensive of a "plan" if you have T-Mo. Att is a rip off...as is all cell carriers.... but the coolest thing I have found is that when I got this for my wife.... I needed help setting up the EDGE and called T-Mo and they walked me through the whole process, no ?s asked. They support the iPhone. even let me insure it! I would put 1000$ on it that more phones have been sold for use with other services than ATT alone. And Apple knows this.....However funny thing happened when I bought it.... I walked into the Apple store, asked for the phone was told I had to use a credit card... to track how many I buy, and told too many people were buying them and reselling them....Um isnt this a good thing? Anyway I told the pimple faced kid I was getting it unlocked to use not sell, and he wouldn't sell me the thing! I had to leave and come back and get a new sales kid. Apple has them brainwashed to not sell what the want to sell or they wouldn't be able to sell it cuz ATT is a rip off!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yeah, it's been done. But it required taking it apart if I remember right.

iPhone unlocking hasn't required taking it apart since it was first unlocked, which became rather useless just days later when a software unlock became available.

Yes, it's possible to unlock your iPhone. There are many guides and tutorials online, just search for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (white), 2 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 120 GB, Superdrive, 10.4.10.
i was just looking on Ebay at iPhone stuff and an auction mentioned something about not being able to unlock the 1.1.2 firmware phones that were purchased after November 9th. Is this true? So like if you bought a new iPhone from Apple today, would you not be able to unlock it? I'm slightly confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (white), 2 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 120 GB, Superdrive, 10.4.10.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel/iMac Intel/iBook G4/iPod Rev2/iPhone 1.1.2
I bought an iPhone for my wife 2 weeks ago which was 1.1.2. I was able to Jailbreak it no problem. Basically, the process involves bringing it back down to 1.1.1 and then back up to 1.1.2 again. Not sure why but it was easy and works well on Pay As You Go - however, PAYG will not give you EDGE or Ansafone. Pay monthly contracts will give you full functionality.

Can anyone explain why Apple chose 8GB? Seems ridiculous.:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Can anyone explain why Apple chose 8GB? Seems ridiculous.:|

Probably to keep the cost down. It's flash memory... no moving parts. Kind of like 8GB of ram. With all the other cool stuff (large display, multitouch, wifi, etc etc), something has to give in order to keep it relatively inexpensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.