Upgraded to Leopard, now Finder won't work

Reaction score
Despite my protests, my boyfriend installed Leopard onto my IBook g4, which I strictly use as a hub for my photography and internet use.

He used the "Upgrade" option on the install CD, and now Leopard is acting screwy. Things are very slow and Finder no longer works. The pinwheel is always spinning unless I have another program open.

I have read that after 20 minutes it should right itself, but it's been hours.

I need help. I really hate Leopard right now and would like to go back to Tiger.

Is it better to transfer my data onto a backup hard drive and then reset with my Tiger CD that came with my IBook? Or should I keep trying to fix Leopard?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, hellonavi. The Upgrade install in Leopard brought a lot of problems to a lot of users.

I hope you have a backup of all your personal files... If you want to go back to OS X Tiger, you will have to use the Erase and Install option which will wipe your whole internal hard drive.

If you want to stick with Leopard:
- you could go with an Archive and Install which keeps your personal files and puts the OS you now have in a Previous System folder (but I would advise against this, as your problem seems pretty deep rooted because this method has a tendency to bring over in the new install old problems)
- or use the Erase and Install option: in your case would be more appropriate. It will wipe the hard drive and there is little chance of you carrying over the old problem.

The choice is up to you. Good luck! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.