Bluetooth for my G5?

D

dziner

I have a question for everyone. I'm looking at purchasing a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth mobile phone soon and I want to add Bluetooth to my G5. I know I can get the D-Link USB adapter but I'd much rather have an internal device. I decided to go to the Apple online Store, select a G5, then select the Bluetooth option. The "Learn More" link reads:

Customers who select Bluetooth Module for Power Mac G5 also receive a Bluetooth antenna that is attached to the external case of your Power Mac G5.

Is there anyway I can get this built-in functionality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Unfortunatley, I do not believe so

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
The built in bluetooth on the G5 is on the logic board. So your out of luck. :-\

OP
W

Wapa18

if you get it build-to-order, it is built in. the reason they say that you will also receive an external antenna is because the G5's aluminum case prevents the signal from reaching the inside of the computer, where the antenna is on all other mac computers.

OP
D

dziner

**** it. I knew I should have got that when I got the system configured.It did come with some sort of antenna thing but I have no idea what it is.

OP
A

Animatronica

The Antenna included is more then likely for an optional Airport Extreme Card. I always order bluetooth as its not much more and it comes in handy every once and a while. The USB bluetooth adapter wont be too bad though aside from taking up a bit more space..you could however afix it to your case or moniter if you wanted to so that its out of the way and such. I'd suggest using non-permanent adhesive though to prevent any damage to either the comp or monite though.

C-ya

OP
D

dziner

Thanks for all the information everyone. I'll be purchasing the D-Link Bluetooth adapter and using the USB on the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.