Safari - Not prompting to save username and password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Hey guys, long time no post. :)

I used to save my usernames and passwords because I'm the only one using my MacBook, and I was able to do that successfully before. But for some reason today (well, actually long ago; I just minded it now), it won't prompt me to save the passwords anymore; and it doesn't even display the ones I saved before.

I ran OnyX and removed all of the autofill forms, history, and cookies. Still nothing worked, so I backed-up my bookmarks and uninstalled Safari completely; then reinstalled from my Mac OS X install disc. The same incident happened. Safari still doesn't prompt to save my username and password.

What do I do? Please help me! Thanks!

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Can someone please jump in here??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Have you checked Safari Preferences?

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have. The autofill webforms on usernames and passwords are checked.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, anyone there? Please help me!

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Have you tried the "Reset Safari" option in the Safari menu?

How about deleting the Safari folder in your ~/Library directory? You'll probably want to export your bookmarks before doing that.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I tried resetting Safari but nothing happened.

I'll try your second suggestion then I'll hit back. Thanks.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, still; nothing happened. I resetted Safari, deleted all the caches and autofill info (there weren't any of those existing anymore), and I even tried reinstalling Safari from the install disc before.

Nothing happened. WHAT IN THE WORLD SHOULD I DO!?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So Safari does not ever ask you to save Passwords? I was going to suggest something wrong with the Keychain, but if Safari is not even asking, I doubt it's that. I have never seen your exact issue. Only issues saving due to the Keychain being messed up.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So Safari does not ever ask you to save Passwords? I was going to suggest something wrong with the Keychain, but if Safari is not even asking, I doubt it's that. I have never seen your exact issue. Only issues saving due to the Keychain being messed up.

When my MB was new, it asked if I should save the passwords or not; and I did save them. It doesn't anymore, though. I think it started since I downloaded the Mac OS X update changing the version to 3.0 BETA. I didn't like the 3.0 version because it kept crashing that's why I reinstalled Safari from the CD. Since that happened, I don't think Safari ever asked for passwords anymore.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which OS X version are you using? Number please: not OS X Tiger for example.

I'm using the latest build of Tiger. The number is 10.4.11.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, have you tried deleting the safari.plist file? There are 3 of them here in Leopard in Username, Library, Preferences. Look for com.apple.safari.plist in that folder.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried, and then reset Safari again. I signed on to Friendster and it didn't prompt me to save the username and password.

*sigh* I wonder what's wrong.. :(

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I *still* can't fix it. :| It's so annoying. I uninstalled Safari using CleanApp and removed all stuff related to it using Spotlight, then I reinstalled from my OS X Tiger CD (for the 3rd or 4th time, I think).

What's wrong with my autofill? Now that I noticed, it doesn't even fill in addresses and other web forms. But I do have the autofill checkboxes in the preferences checked.

I'm sorry if I seem impatient guys. It's just that I'm really agitated about this since I've no idea why it's happening and that I've done several attempts fixing it but nothing happens. :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been searching for hours trying to find someone with your exact issue. I myself have never seen it on the many Macs with OSX I have here and from 10.2 - 10.5.1. The only thing that I have found is about issues with the Keychain causing your issue. Try opening KeyChain Access from Applications/Utilities and click on Keychain First Aid from the Keychain access pull down. Also look and see if any of your sites info is saved in the Keychain.

Hope this helps.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried doing that too. I verified, there were no errors found. I repaired but since there were no errors found, nothing happened.

I installed (or reinstalled, I think) the security update for OS X 10.4.11 v1.1 which included the Safari 3 Beta. It didn't crash unlike the first Beta, but it *still* didn't save autofill information.

I reset the Keychain, but still; nothing happened. There was a file that was named "Safari Forms AutoFill", so I thought it would work and I entered something in the search box on Friendster. I closed and reopened Safari and tried entering the first letter of the info I searched for a while ago, but AutoFill still didn't do its job.

I entered my username and password on Friendster in Keychain Access manually and gave Safari access, but when I visited the website; it didn't work.

Now I even have a problem with Keychain Access. When I go to the "system" keychain and I view my Airport network password (I check the show password), I enter my keychain password (which is the same as my MB's password, right?); Keychain Access would tell me that my password is invalid, while it works with the "login" keychain. Is there something wrong with what I'm doing? Help me please!

And about my Safari problem. I really, really, REALLY don't know what to do anymore. Thank you dtravis7 for trying to help though. If you still can, please help me!

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys, are you still there? Please help me! :(

Lex

Reaction score
sorry for bumping this old topic but I have the same problem with 10.6.2 safari remembers all my passwords but not from blackboard.tudelft.nl (school, which I basically use every 5 mins when I am working).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.