Gen 3 Nano issues...

Reaction score
Annapolis, MD but a Cali girl to the core!
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4, Ipod Nano Gen 3 & Gen 2
I just recieved an ipod nano gen 3 for christmas. I tried to hook it up with my elderly ibook running OS 10.3.9 Its not working, so I researched and found I need to upgrade, but I am confused and my DH and I are both at odds...when it says "OR LATER" doesn't that mean older??? Also, my sister has an ibook which is abotu a year newer than mine, will I need to get a family pack of the Leopard to make sure her new Ipod works?

I feel so lame, b/c I ahve always prided myself on my knowledge of my MAC and here I am totally floored!

HELP??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here is what Apple says it requires to work.

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later
iTunes 7.4 or later

Later means or Newer. In other words OSX Tiger 10.4.8 or newer like 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 or 10.5. It would say Earlier if it meant older.

Hope that helps.

OP
I
Reaction score
Annapolis, MD but a Cali girl to the core!
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4, Ipod Nano Gen 3 & Gen 2
...giving my DH my new Nano..since he runs XP on his PC (GAG!) he can use it...sigh...

Just don't have the $$ to buy the upgrade..

Reaction score
Yes, sad but true (or "It costs $$ to be compatible"

Same thing happened to me - On Christmas! I bought a new 8GB Nano (3-gen) for my daughter as a gift, only to discover on Christmas morning that the new Nano requires 10.4.8 (or later). Yes, this requirement was on the box (on the back, in grey text, 4pt font - I had to turn on bright lights to read it - with my glasses on). That warning must surely have appeared on Christmas morning! Yeah, Like a lump of coal. ;-( The requirements also include USB 2.0, iTunes 7.4, and Internet Access. My daughter's PowerBook G4 with 10.3.9 is just under 3 years old, certainly not "ancient" by today's upgrade standards. Apple is still providing customer software updates for 10.3 (10.3.9 update came this year, and I installed a security update not too long ago). It's fairly common for new hardware devices to not be backwards compatible with older OS versions. Apple has to spend mucho dinero to develop and test device drivers for any older OS it choses to support with new devices. Apple simply chose NOT to provide the drivers for their older OS X version. That's too bad. It will definitely offend many consumers (as evidence that Apple only wants more people to purchase Leopard at retail for $129), and it may motivate other buyers to go out finally and upgrade their 3 year-old OS. But, as one parent who did not want this $200 gift to become a $330 gift, it motivated me to setup her new iPod to work with her Mom's Sony Vaio with XP Pro (another 3-4 year-old OS). Does this make me like Apple more, or Less? Take a guess.:Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.