Network Sharing

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I finally got a Macbook today for Christmas. Its my first Mac so I'm sure I'll have a million questions for you all!

So, question number one:

I am trying to share my mp3 folder from my Windows XP PC with my new macbook over our wireless network. I have the PC set to share the folder with the network but I can't figure out how to find the folder on my mac. Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Open Finder click on "Connect Server". In there type smb://<ip address of windows machine>. You'll be prompted for password. Enter windows password if any and you're connected.

OP
R
Reaction score
it still isn't working. It just keeps searching and eventually says that I cannot connect because it cannot be found. Does it matter if my PC is wired into the network and the notebook is on wireless?? I'm so stumped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
It won't matter if it is wired or wireless. You may have to add the IP of your Mac into the allow section of your firewall on the Windows machine. Good luck.

Reaction score
Firstly in preferences (applications/System Preferences) go to "sharing" which you will see under "Internet & Network"

then check "windows sharing" and then check the user account you want to use for windows sharing

next, connecting to your windows box

Go to "go" in menu bar, type "smb://*your hostname*"

When it comes to authenticating, just click ok unless you have a password set. I have also found getting rid of anything in "name" field helps as well :/

you can also browse to it via "network" in Finder, But i prefer using "Go"

Oh, also, if you're transferring music via iTunes, when connected to your music share, go to iTunes and then "file" and then "add to library" and navigate to your files. I personally found doing it via iTunes was a lot easier. made organizing my MP3 files easier since iTunes does it automagically.

OP
R
Reaction score
Firstly in preferences (applications/System Preferences) go to "sharing" which you will see under "Internet & Network"

then check "windows sharing" and then check the user account you want to use for windows sharing

I don't see any option for "windows sharing" I see:
screen sharing
file sharing
printer ""
web ""
remote login
remote management
apple events
xgrid ""
internet ""
bluetooth ""

sorry, apparently I'm an idiot lol

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok well I found out that its a problem with my PC not my mac (surprise, surprise) For some reason no computer on the network can see my PC... UGH! Off to fix that first I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
I don't see any option for "windows sharing" I see:
screen sharing
file sharing
printer ""
web ""
remote login
remote management
apple events
xgrid ""
internet ""
bluetooth ""

sorry, apparently I'm an idiot lol

You're not the only one who's screen looks like that. I'm using Leopard and I don't have a windows sharing option either. Is this because the network location under my Airport router is set at "Automatic"?

Reaction score
You're not the only one who's screen looks like that. I'm using Leopard and I don't have a windows sharing option either. Is this because the network location under my Airport router is set at "Automatic"?

Sorry guys, No experience of leopard. I assumed it would be the same as Tiger. you could try typing "windows" in the Preferences search box in the top right corner, and see what options it gives you?

or, click on "file sharing" it could just be its called something different in leopard. Yes, under "sharing" try checking "file sharing"

Reaction score
I am also having the same problem trying to create a network between my mac and my pc. I'm using leopard and I've gone through the search engines looking for a guide to connect to my PC and there doesn't seem to be anything out there... I want my mac and PC to hold hands like on their goofy adverts!
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Figured since nobody had suggested this by now that I would mention it.

Have you added both machines to the same workgroup? If you have Leopard and the machines are on the same workgroup, the computers should see shared files/folders automatically.

Reaction score
I'd also like to know how to add it to a workgroup!

I have managed to share a specific file though. Leopard sharing preferences has changed slightly. Windows sharing is gone (for some reason) and instead you enable it by clicking on sharing>file sharing>options>share files and folders using SMB>select users you wish to share. When this is done you click done and do as above..connect to server and so on.

The strange thing is when I type a password it doesnt have to be either my Mac or Windows one! Have any ideas about this anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To add Leopard to a workgroup, open up System Preferences --> Network. Click on the Advanced button and go to the WINS tab. Input the workgroup name there, hit OK, and then Apply. Be sure that the Windows computer is part of the same workgroup.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I've tried to change the details but it wont let me make changes - it says something like 'computer already in use'. Know how to change that?

Reaction score
I am not able to share files between my iMac running Leopard and a PC running WinXP Service Pack 2.

I enabled 'file sharing' and checked the SMB option on my Mac and when I go to the PC I can't see the files.

What I want is that the PC can read the Mac files. I tried putting under the RUN command in XP and also in the Explorer window the following: //Mac IP address, also smb://Mac IP address and nothing happened.

I also tried doing that thing from the Network preference pane other user suggested two or three post ago and it didn't let me make changes to the workgroup in Leopard.

I'm connecting the two computers via ethernet cable.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
dude im having same problem as the poster above me. ive searched for HOURS and HOURS on the net and nothing! it seems like leopard it not as easy to share files as previous versions

Reaction score
Anyone knows how to effectively share files between a Mac running Leopard and a PC running XP SP2? I've also tried for hours and no luck yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.