Network Sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I will let you know now that I am running Tiger, so if something doesn't seem to apply, forgive me. But I am running XP sp2 for Windows.
First, has everyone ran the Network Setup Wizard on the Windows machines? Go from Start to Network places and select setup a home or small office network. I selected the 2nd option for going thru a residental gateway.
After it finishes, click the "view workgroup computers" on the side menu. On the same side menu, (2 selections down)select "Microsoft Windows Network".
If all is going well, you should see the icons for any computers on the network.
This is all assuming the Macs have been setup properly... If not, post back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Thanks Soul but i still can't connect to my PC from my Mac, I'm running 10.5.1 btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's see if we can find what's different...
What do you have under Network?
And under System Preferences/Sharing?
I know Leopard is different under sharing, but is there anything like I have, where it shows an IP address for windows?
Also, I don't know if it would make a difference, try restarting both machines after setup. (I had to do that for windows before..)

When all else fails, try everything! ;D

Picture 4.png

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but what i am trying to do is connect to a windows comp from my Mac when i click connect to server under the go menu in the finder and input the ip address and all that stuff it gives me (Error -36) hmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you trying to connect thru a router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I have a Airport Extreme Base Station, I'm connected wirelessly and the PC is connected through a patch ethernet cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Right, the full process for making sure that a leopard machine is in the right workgroup and connects correctly to your router and on to your network is as follows:

1) Open system preferences > Network.
2) Click on the network connection that you are using.
3) At the top of the screen where it says location "automatic" click the up/down arrow and select "edit locations".
4) Click "+" and type in the name of your workgroup.
5) When the pop-up closes click "Advanced" near the bottom right of the Network window.
6) Click on the "DNS" tab.
7) Click on the "+" under DNS servers and add the IP address of your router.
8) Click on the "+" under Search Domains and type your workgroup name.
9) Click on the "WINS" tab.
10) In the "workgroup" field either select or type your workgroup.
11) Click "APPLY"
12) Click the back arrow at the top left of the Network window and say yes to save the changes.
13) Now open the Sharing window by clicking on it.
14) Type your computer name into the box at the top labelled "Computer Name".
15) In the left-hand pane click "File sharing".
16) You can now select which folders to share and which users can do what...
17) In the left-hand pane click "Printer sharing".
18) You can now select which printers to share.

At this point you will be on the correct workgroup and other computers will see you on the network. You will also see them.

Additionally if you wish to share folders on windows computers and want the shares to come back each time you switch on follow these instructions.

1) Locate the share on the windows/linux/apple computer and establish this share.
2) Goto Preferences>Accounts.
3) Click on your account.
4) In the right-hand pane click on "Login Items".
5) Click on the "+" under the list of items then select the share from the list and click "ADD"

Anyone any further questions just ask!

I am sharing 3 macbooks, 1 ibook, 1 mac mini, 1 mac pro, 1 windows XP laptop, 2 XP computers, 2 Vista computers, 1 Fedora linux computer and 1 fedora linux server!!! I have been ripping my hair out for weeks but everything is now working !!!:)

Reaction score
Right, the full process for making sure that a leopard machine is in the right workgroup and connects correctly to your router and on to your network is as follows:

3) At the top of the screen where it says location "automatic" click the up/down arrow and select "edit locations".
5) When the pop-up closes click "Advanced" near the bottom right of the Network window.
11) Click "APPLY"
12) Click the back arrow at the top left of the Network window and say yes to save the changes.

At this point you will be on the correct workgroup and other computers will see you on the network. You will also see them.

Additionally if you wish to share folders on windows computers and want the shares to come back each time you switch on follow these instructions.

1) Locate the share on the windows/linux/apple computer and establish this share.
5) Click on the "+" under the list of items then select the share from the list and click "ADD"

I am sharing 3 macbooks, 1 ibook, 1 mac mini, 1 mac pro, 1 windows XP laptop, 2 XP computers, 2 Vista computers, 1 Fedora linux computer and 1 fedora linux server!!! I have been ripping my hair out for weeks but everything is now working !!!:)

I can see the MAC computer on my pc but i can't acces it.
I can't either see my Windows computer on my MAC.
Help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
For some reason I wasn't subscribed to this so missed the update. Anyway make sure file sharing is selected under Sharing in preferences. From the PCs make sure you are authenticating using a mac user name so you have the correct privileges. Turn off firewalls on both temporarily until it is working just to see if that is breaking it. Make sure the PC is set to the same work group as the mac...

Reaction score
Maybe this can help someone

Hi

I tried for days to make the network between Vista Ultimate and Leopard 10.5.2 to work, without any success. In the end I found the solution, and it was as easy as turning off the firewall in Norton Internet Security.

Norton alone stopped me from both seeing Vista in Finder, and seeing OSX in Network Panel.

Good luck

Nelson

Reaction score

11) Click "APPLY"

I have tried this and the PC will not let me in from the Mac. The shared file on the Network screen is showing up for the PC name. I can see the Mac files by mapping a drive on the PC. It works with the Mac username and password. If the PC is turned off and restarted the mapped drive disappears and you have to do it again. I am using Mac Leopard and XP Home. Steps 1-5 are a great resource for the Mac but not for the PC side.

And here are my questions
Your #1. Am I supposed to locate the shared file on the PC? If so I can't do steps 2-5.
Your #2. Where do I find that exactly on the PC? etc.

Depending what I do on the Mac side I get one of two options. One says connection failed and the other asks for a username/password which I don't know how to access on the PC. It will not accept the ones for an administrator if set up with a password. I can also type in the internet email name and password and it just closes the box. I'm at a loss. JS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try turning OFF your firewall and checking again. If it works then you need to adjust the firewall settings.

It is ridiculous but since the last round of operating system updates (leopard and vista) the connectivity of machines has certainly gone right down hill! If turning off the firewall does not work but both machines can connect to the internet then we would need to look further into the settings.

XP Home does not help your cause, its networking is cut down. It should still work though.

You need to select a folder on the PC and under properties you can adjust the file sharing properties.

Let me know how you get on with it....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.