Got an iMac today!

Reaction score
I have used macs at school for about two years, and ever since I first logged in at school I fell in love.

Well, as we all know, today is christmas!
I (being young enough to still live with my parents) never expected an imac or anything of the sorts after I recieved a new desk and a new bed along with various other items, but this morning I was shocked when there was a 20 inch iMac sitting in my living room.

Booted it up fine, and am running on my home desktop internet until I can get a wireless router tomorrow and stick this bad boy in my room! This machine is a beast and I am completely blown away by the clarity and crispness of the screen. My dad is actually quite mad he didn't make the switch earlier.

As for a wireless router, is there anything I should know before I buy one tomorrow? Any recommendations or warnings? My iMac is 802.11n compatable, is it worth it to buy a router with 802.11n or should i just stick with b/g wireless?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and im glad to finally call myself a part of the family!

Thank you,
Austin

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the Wifi router is just going to be for internet usage, a G will work just fine. N is nice for doing network file copy between machines as it's much faster if you are not really far away from the router.

Also the N is still a Draft and not the final standard. As long as you don't need the faster file copy speed you would get with N, I would stick with G for now.

Apple's Airport Extreme is very good but very expensive. I have had great luck with the Linksys WRT54GL with Linux Firmware. Mine has been running 2 years now trouble free.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well in that case then I think ill go with the g, at least save a few bucks.
And im sort of kind of might be stealing one of my neighbors wifi signals and its working fine for internet, and the router is at least 70ft away.

Thanks for the help Travis.

T

todd51

I also recommend Linksys, I haven't had a problem with mine in quite some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I recommend Linksys too, I have one in my home; though I would recommend Apple's Airport Extreme Base if you would want to share printers wirelessly.

The Airport Extreme is much more costly than the Linksys router, but it's worth every buck though.

Reaction score
I have the AE router. I like it. It's easy to set up and it works flawlessly with my MacBook and iMac. I'm sharing a printer on the USB port. It works great.

OP
A
Reaction score
I planned on buying a linksys router but when I got to my local bestbuy the only linksys routers they had didnt look so great. Seeing how this is going to be a purchase that rarely gets updated, I bought a netgear b/g/n router.
Setup was a pain, but now that its working it is absolutely perfect. Super quick, and a strong signal.

Thanks for the help everyone, its greatly apreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.