Playstation 3, iMac and Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
I bought myself a Playstation 3 this Christmas and let me say this is one very versatile piece of equipment. I managed to connect it to my Airport Extreme router flawlessly. After keying in my WEP passkey, it connected to the internet, updated the system software and installed the update on its own. Then I wanted to access media on my computer. After hunting around the internet quickly, I installed EyeConnect from elgato software. In no time, the Playstation 3 recognized my video media files and you can access these media files, over the wireless network and on to your TV. I've never had anything work so flawlessly. Has anyone had experience with EyeConnect? As soon as you set up the appropriate media file for music photos and videos you can access them from your PS3...it's very easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
that sounds very cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, my cousin's college roommate has a PS3. He says they watch movies streamed over the wireless network in their dorm from his eMac to the PS3.
I don't have a wireless network anymore but I have my Mac hooked directly to the TV.
I do have to say the picture is a lot cleaner when watching a DIVX movie through the PS3 than through the Mac Pro. Version 2.10 on the PS3 system now supports DIVX and Windows Video.
I love my PS3. It is like a computer. Someone made a special version of Linux for the PS3 or so I was told. I know you can install OS's on the PS3. OS X was rumored to possibly work prior to release of the PS3.
I had the 80GB version and swapped it for a 20GB for the emotion engine so I could play PS2 games again. I need to drop in larger HD and DL some more stuff again.
I can't wait for Burnout Paradise, GTA4 and Gran Turismo 5.
You download the 3rd video clip for GTA4 from the PS store? It's a nice, long video. That game is going to be incredible!!!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't say I'm a big gamer, my college-aged kids and younger nephews get a kick out of it though. The PS3 is quite something. You can access music, video and pictures on a wireless basis and its very, very fast. The Divx videos are outstanding and flow over the wireless network effortlessly. I'm not sure if the other gaming machines have the same capabilities, but this is, without a doubt, one of the most fascinating pieces of media equipment I've ever purchased. I have the 80 mg hard drive, so that is going to come in handy too. We'll see. My system downloaded the most recent PS3 software so the compatibility is up-to-date...and it is good. I still can't get over how easy it was to set-up.

Reaction score
I too am an iMac, an new PS3 owner.. I tried eyeconnect, and being and for some reason, it won't pull up my pics...

I store all my media on an external HD, so this may be a problem..

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All of the media I store is on my iMac. I think if you can get the other media from an external hard drive you should get pics. Make sure you've added the correct file so that eyeconnect knows where to look. By the way, just added an HDMI cable as a connection. All I can say is...outstanding. The picture on games is the best I've seen. I am using a 32" Toshiba Regza in my study which only has 720p but will accept 1080p signals through the HDMI inputs, of which there are 3.

Reaction score
That's sounds great! I've been wanting to get a PS3 for some of the uses you have mentioned. I'm not sure I'm ready to drop the cash on it though. :Angry-Tongue:

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing about the PS3 is that it has a Blue Ray DVD drive and it is wi-fi ready. I'm not sure if the other game stations are that well equipped. I don't think the xbox comes wi-fi ready or has a HD DVD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Peter its Blu-Ray Disc drive not Blue Ray DVD lol not sure about the wifi on 40GB PS3 though can't connect to my router dam thing.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Peter its Blu-Ray Disc drive not Blue Ray DVD lol not sure about the wifi on 40GB PS3 though can't connect to my router dam thing.

Blu-Ray disc drive, correct LOL LOL. Have you updated the PS3 software? Might be worth using the ethernet cable if you haven't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
I haven't update to the newest one yet just the one that cam with the game before i was allowed to play. So ill update later tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
I have a new iMac and would like to hook up a PS3 to it to play blu-ray. Is this as easy as just plugging it in, or do I need to do anything special?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a new iMac and would like to hook up a PS3 to it to play blu-ray. Is this as easy as just plugging it in, or do I need to do anything special?

You want to use the PS3 as a Blu-ray drive to watch videos on your Mac? It would be possible with a bazillion adapters. You would have to find a way to convert the signal to coaxial and buy a USB tuner card. Otherwise, the iMac does not support video in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
You want to use the PS3 as a Blu-ray drive to watch videos on your Mac? It would be possible with a bazillion adapters. You would have to find a way to convert the signal to coaxial and buy a USB tuner card. Otherwise, the iMac does not support video in.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a PS3 yet, I thought it might just be an easy hookup, like an HDMI to DVI adapter. I have an EyeTV hybrid and get a great HD picture on the iMac, I was hoping I could add blu-ray. Oh, well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. I don't have a PS3 yet, I thought it might just be an easy hookup, like an HDMI to DVI adapter. I have an EyeTV hybrid and get a great HD picture on the iMac, I was hoping I could add blu-ray. Oh, well.

yea, there's no way I know of doing it besides connecting through the EyeTV things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.