Computer can't recognize scanner

Reaction score
I have an impressive gift for screwing things up. Too cheap to buy a new scanner, I decided to keep my ancient Epson Perfection 1240U and downloaded the driver that would bring it up to date with Mac OS 10.3.9. Working with abandon, I methodically deleted all Epson files (an amazing 149) from my HD. Then, carefully following directions, I downloaded the appropriate driver. I couldn't believe how smooth it went. I had a beer, salami sandwich, and a tomato to celebrate. Now came the test ....... well the bright guys out there already know the problem — my computer couldn't recognize my scanner. Of course it couldn't, I had deleted the file that would have recognized it.

How am I going to get out of this mess? If there's any joy in Mudville, it's that I still have my old Epson files in the TRASH. I have no idea which the relevant file is, nor where it goes even if I knew. Is there a really savvy guy out there who can make my day? (Please don't tell me to reinstall Mac OS X).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well if you deleted the old Epson files first, and then installed the "correct" drivers, then it should be working. I would reinstall the drivers to be sure (here's what should be the really really correct link):
ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson11930.dmg

If it still isn't working, then double-check all your connections and maybe even try a new cable.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply, but the link you provided is for Mac 10.5. I downloaded the correct drive, my screw-up is somewhere else. I have a suspicion that I trashed the system file that recognizes all the printers and scanners, and which provides the list from which I select the printer I intend to use. If that's so, I need to divine how I can replace that file (or, in fact, what it's called).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still got the install CD that came with the all in one with drivers etc on it? Run them and see if scanner works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an Epson 1240U. It's always just worked with OSX. 10.3-10.5. Never needed a driver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank you for your quick reply, but the link you provided is for Mac 10.5. I downloaded the correct drive, my screw-up is somewhere else. I have a suspicion that I trashed the system file that recognizes all the printers and scanners, and which provides the list from which I select the printer I intend to use. If that's so, I need to divine how I can replace that file (or, in fact, what it's called).

That's odd. I got that link directly from following the download directions for the 10.3 version of the driver. I'm not at home on my Mac, so I can't be entirely sure what it was. Anywho....

From exactly what folders did you trash some files? Specifically, were they in sub-folders from the User Library, Root Library, or System LIbrary? Have you tried creating a new user to see if the device will work on that user?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm thrilled with your good fortune, but how do I enjoy some of that stuff myself?

I did not post that to rub it in but to the fact that the Epson like yours has worked with every Mac I have plugged it into without downloading any additional driver. Did it work before you downloaded and installed the driver?

With an stock OSX 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 here, all I had to do it plug in the scanner, Open Image Capture from Applications and there it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The Epson site states for X.2 to X.4 you require download epson11930.dmg. This download is 2 1/2 times the size of epson10588.dmg. Could it be a printer only driver perhaps and not the scanner?

OP
P
Reaction score
I did not post that to rub it in but to the fact that the Epson like yours has worked with every Mac I have plugged it into without downloading any additional driver. Did it work before you downloaded and installed the driver?

With an stock OSX 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 here, all I had to do it plug in the scanner, Open Image Capture from Applications and there it was.

I've already explained that my original software ran on Mac OS 9. It will not function with 10.3. That is the reason I need to download a later driver for 10.3. The scanner worked fine on the earlier OS 9.

M

MacHeadCase

You should try the VueScan demo to see if you like it.

Your scanner is listed in the supported scanners. It is shareware though so if it works you will have to buy your licence.

The good side is that it has much more controls than regular drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.