Suspect that Hard Drive is corrupted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I recently posted a thread asking how do I write to my Windows partition on my Mac. I went to a website (http://www.lifehack.org/articles/li...write-ntfs-windows-partition-on-mac-os-x.html) and followed their instructions by dling the Macfuse and NTFS-3G and did the terminal thingy. After rebooting my computer, I found out that my Windows image on my desktop was missing. I went to Disk Utility and it showed that it was still mounted. I tried unmounting it and and mounting it again but the image still remained missing. I tried repairing the disk but it now gives an error "Filesystem verify or repair failed". Help, what do I need to do now? I can still access Windows without any problems, and its just that now the Windows image is missing under my mac desktop, and I have no idea what problem is that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I cannot repair an NTFS disc using apples disc Utility, that's probably throwing up the error.

Have you tried visiting the site mentioned to see if anybody else is having that problem.

I think that was me that gave you the link, I should think the hack is not a perfect solution. Did you just want to copy stuff off that disc, can you do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've done this same thing on my Mac to get write-access to my Windows partition, and what you are experiencing is normal. Here's what is happening as best as I understand and can explain....

Normally, OS X can only read an NTFS partition, and it treats such partitions like a mountable, external drive. Thus, when you have the Finder configured to show external drives on your Desktop (unless that's automatic... I forget and am at work at moment), your Windows parition will show up there. After getting write-access using NTFS-3G, OS X now sees that partition as a native, internal drive/partition. You can still access the partition... it's just not going to show up on the Desktop now unless you enable the Finder option to show Hard Drives on the Desktop. You can access it otherwise by a Finder window and navigating back "up" till you get a listing of all connected drives and such.

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I tried copying stuff on the Windows partition, and it came up with the error that the filename is too long, something like that. So I rebooted into Windows, and I could see the file being written over, but I couldn't open it. Is there anyway to solve this problem? To make it able to be written successfully and to solve the problem of being able to "repair the disk" using Disk Util.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
I had a similar problem with repairing disk permissions and on these forums I found links to these apps - YASU seems to have sorted the problem for me. I think that DiskUtility is quite limited, and seems to be having some issues in Leopard.

Good luck.

MainMenu
YASU
MacJanitor

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YASU doesn't solve my problem.. sigh.

I tried to repair disk using YASU, but all it did was to give me this

"Repairing disk "Untitled"

Started verify/repair volume (filesystem) on disk disk0s3
** /usr/local/bin/ntfsfix has been disabled because of volume corruption issues
** If you still want to try fixing your volume, use /usr/local/bin/ntfsfix from the command line
Error detected while verifying/repairing volume disk0s3: Filesystem verify or repair failed (-9957)

Finished verify/repair volume (filesystem) on disk disk0s3
Error detected while verifying/repairing volume disk0s3: Filesystem verify or repair failed (-9957)

Repair attempted on selected volume"

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no one can help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you know someone else with a mac connect them up with a Firewire cable, boot yours while pressing the letter t, and it should show up as a hard drive on the other Mac, then run disk repair from the other Mac and see if that helps, if not, copy all the important info off yours and buy a new HD.

I am new to Mac myself (4 months) but that is a standard way of accessing a HD.

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I get a new HD when its in the mac itself? o_O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggest you try connecting to another Mac first, then if that doesn't work for you, I would recommend you buy a new SATA hard drive to replace the one you have - the data should still be accessible on the old one if you plug it in via USB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.