Christmas Gift Review Part II - Grado SR 60

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Holiday Gift Guide part 2: Grado Sr-60

grado-review2.jpg

I love listening to music. Even as a kid I used to take my walkman anywhere I could. Even when doing the dishes, reading a book or riding my bike - I'm addicted to listening to my iPod.
For out and about listening, I'm a big fan of Shure's in-ear headphones: I own the SE310's and they protect my ears from the noise of the street, tram and subway, but still sound pretty great. The detail you can find in your music when using them is a real eye-opener - even besting some speakers I've owned.

The only drawback is the price and the lack of "thumping bass". The entire lower mids and bass range just seems a bit lackluster.
(Plus my girlfriend goes crazy when I'm standing two feet away from her and can't hear what she's saying due to the isolation.)

Enter the Grado SR-60:
As any audio enthusiast knows, these phones are considered the best "bang for your buck" in the sub 150$ price range and has been described by some as the "best deal in headphones, period."

grado-review1.jpg

I've read so much about these, that I decided to pick up a pair to use with my Mac, as well as with my iPod around the house.

Sound quality:
Wow. Simply put, they sound amazing. Music of all genres sounds very "musical" - everything has a very warm texture and they have a decent soundstage for something clamped close to your head.
Compared to the Shure's, the entire lower range really comes to life and it's much easier for example, to pick out individual bass guitar notes.

Build quality:
Overall the headphone feels very solid. The headband can be adjusted easily and the phones sit very comfortably on my ears (even with glasses).

The cable is almost as thick as a heavy-duty instrument cable and it feels very sturdy. I've had about half a dozen headphones break over the years due to cable breakage, I don't think this will ever be a problem with these babies.

grado-review4.jpg

Design:
I love the retro design of Grado's products, these could be straight out of a 1950's radio station. Ymmv.

Overall impressions:
I'm very pleased with these headphones and despite costing a bit more than your average pair of headphones, you get an awesome high-end package for a still very affordable price.

grado-review3.jpg

A note on europe:
Alas, whilst Grado seems to be very popular in the states, they are quite difficult to find here in Germany and Grado themselves do not sell them over here. Purchasing them from a US reseller is one option, but had I wanted to send them back or return a defective pair, things quickly start to get expensive.
Also: Products bought overseas are charged additional import tax, which adds another 19% to the purchase price.

Fortunately, a Hamburg-based company called "Active Audio" imports and sells all Grado products here in Germany. Their list price is higher than in the states, but when you factor in the much cheaper shipping costs, 14-day free return option and the peace of mind of having a local service provider should anything break, I'd gladly pay the price difference.

Bottom line: If you're getting an iPod or Mac this christmas and like to listen to music without waking the entire house - check out these phones. They'll improve your music experience more than any other accessory I've tested.

grado-review5.jpg

grado-review6.jpg

grado-review7.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, iPod Touch 32g, White Macbook, ATV2, iPad 32g, iPhone 4
I've owned the Grado SR-60's for 10 years. One of the all-time bargains in audio. Even the hi-end snobby audio mags love 'em. You will never spend a better $69.00 in your pursuit of good sound. And they are very easy to drive with your iPod.

True, they lack the portability of the in-ear designs, and they do have the retro "on-ear" design, but the sound quality more than makes up for the aesthetics.

I recently invested in a replacement set of ear pads and it's like they are brand new again. If I get 10 years out of this set of pads, I'll gladly buy another set ($10.00).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.