Sudden Shutdown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Hello -

Quick question about charging/battery life.

Just as a quick beginning, I usually have my computer plugged into the power source. It may not be up and running, but I leave it on and close the lid, all the while leaving it plugged in.

I have had this problem twice within the last week. I will take my computer off the power source and begin to use it solely with battery power. About 10 minutes into use, the computer just shuts down. No warning or anything. The battery percentage is in it's high 80's and there seems to be no reason for the shut down. I don't believe it has anything to do with an application because both times I was using different ones. (First time: Safari and Mail. Second time: Adobe Illustrator.)

When it happened today, I was in the car (as a passenger), and it happened. I went to restart it using the power button and the computer started booting but then shut down again. Tried it once more - same deal.

Have I somehow ruined the battery by having my computer constantly plugged in?

HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
No way. I keep my battery plugged in all the time. Either your macbook's battery is loose (you can check this by keeping the MB on a sturdy surface and not moving it at all.) or with the motherboard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I am having the EXACT same problem! I am going to the apple store today to get my fiance a keyboard and I was going to ask someone there. I don't see how it could be the motherboard if it is only happening when it is running on the battery, that just would not logically make sense.

[Edit]
I am going to try this solution and see if that works.
[/Edit]

OP
iLindzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I am having the EXACT same problem! I am going to the apple store today to get my fiance a keyboard and I was going to ask someone there. I don't see how it could be the motherboard if it is only happening when it is running on the battery, that just would not logically make sense.

[Edit]
I am going to try this solution and see if that works.
[/Edit]

So, you're gong to try an Archive & Install? If so, let me know how it goes and if it works for you. It's really frustrating when I need to switch rooms and I have to RUN because I'm afraid my MBP is gonna just shut off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
So, you're gong to try an Archive & Install? If so, let me know how it goes and if it works for you. It's really frustrating when I need to switch rooms and I have to RUN because I'm afraid my MBP is gonna just shut off.

Ok sorry, I am going to do an archive and install today and see if that fixes the problem. I got a little sidetracked earlier in the week. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
So no go with the Archive and Install. I guess I need to talk to someone at the store now. Did you ever find anything out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Reading around on the actual Apple forums it would seem that this is an ongoing problem and that MANY people are facing it. There is a little known exchange program. Basically if your battery is under 300 cycles and does not hold a charge or does the random shutdown thing, they will replace it within 2 years of purchase. I am going to the Apple store tomorrow to exchange mine out.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
It is a battery issue, cut and dry. Apple knows about it and will replace the batteries if they show any of the symptoms and are under 300 cycles.

I just got back from the store with a brand new battery and no more problems!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.