Dock icon for applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, santa came and delivered my new internal 160GB SATA HD, so in with a new drive, out to an enclosure with the old drive, and purchased family pack of Leopard to move forward. (Why not? I get to upgrade five macs; I have three so at $129/pop it makes sense.)

Anyway, get 10.5 all installed fresh and clean, move stuff from one external drive to other external drive so Time Machine is now doing it's thing. Dig the transparent dock. Okay, so now put Applications folder on Dock, set to display as grid. Cool.

Now, it appears that it selects the very first application in that folder as the icon to use on the Dock, which in my case is Adobe Acrobat. I kinda want it to be something else, like maybe a folder icon (and actually it is a folder icon, but with the Acrobat logo) because yeah, I can remember that this is my Applications folder, but Acrobat is something that I kind of rarely use. Is there a way to change this, or do I have to do something tricky, like put a file in applications called AAAAAAsomething.app as a dummy app with the icon of my choice for it?

Hmmm...I may have just answered my own question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I use the special icons and tricks from the link below. Basically you put a custom folder icon in the Apps folder, set the "last modified date" to something well into the future (the custom ones in that link are already modified), then from the Dock icon, tell it to "Sort by Date Modified".

http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.