G3 hard drive in a PC

Reaction score
Our G3 finally died. I believe the hard drive is fine and wondered if I could plug it into a PC in order to retrieve some files off of it. I have an Intel and an AMD machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
My guess is no. The Mac HD is not formatted as NTFS I believe. You will have to get the drive mounted by a Mac then move it to a Windows machine via network or email. Best solution is to get insert it into an external enclosure and find someone with a Mac. I have been here and it is frustrating.

OP
D
Reaction score
G3 hard drive in a PC follow up

Plugged it into my Vista basic machine and it installed the drivers and read it without any additional software!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Excellent save Doctor. Hmmm install Vista to save a Mac drive - who would have thunk it that MS could save us? Will I install Vista - never. Good idea but let us know after you get the stuff recovered whether the information actually is usable. From my experiences moving back and forth using Windows to rescue Mac has issues but at least you have an option. Let us know how you make out, I would be interested as we are Leopard/Tiger/XP/Parallels in our home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.