New DVD-R for my Quicksilver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB
Hey all, I was interested in upgrading "internally" my old original superdrive(A03) for my G4 Dual 800 quicksilver since the DVD drives are so affordable lately. Any recommendations?

M

MoltenLava

You can get virtually any Pioneer DVR-A0x series, or DVR-10x series for your Mac. I just bought Pioneer DVR-A06, which is 4X DVD writer. A07 is 8X writer and about $30 more. Don't fall for a drive "specifically made for Mac" and sold for higher price. Any Pioneer will be recognized by OS X natively.

OP
Bmode
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all. God I love my Mac and the Mac community. :)

OP
Bmode
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got my Pioneer DVR-108 for just over a hundred bucks with shipping. It was so easy to install it's ridiculous. No software to deal with at all, and it burned a 60 minute DVD in 15 minutes, but that's only because my DVD media is X4. I can't wait to buy blank 8x's dvd's next!

Thanks all for your support. Try that on windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
There is a hack for the dvr-107 that will allow you to burn 4x media at 8x. I would think, that it won't be long before there will be one for the dvr-108.

R

rvannostrand

Pioneer DVR-A07XLA doesn't work on a Sawtooth Dual G4

MoltenLava said:
You can get virtually any Pioneer DVR-A0x series, or DVR-10x series for your Mac. I just bought Pioneer DVR-A06, which is 4X DVD writer. A07 is 8X writer and about $30 more. Don't fall for a drive "specifically made for Mac" and sold for higher price. Any Pioneer will be recognized by OS X natively.

I put a new DVR-A07XLA in my daughter's Dual 500 Sawtooth using OS 10.3.xxxx (whatever the latest upgrade was in August) and got strange results. First, the mac profile shows the DVR as a DVR-107 which is correct. I can read DVDs and CDs and can write CDs. I can run in simulation mode and write to a DVD perfectly. When I turn off Simulation mode and try to actually burn a data DVD, I get a drive error and all comes to a halt. Am using Sony 4x blanks. Should I exchange this burner at Comp-USA, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks-

Richard

M

MoltenLava

Richard, it looks like your drive is faulty. Try to return and exchange it with another unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Can mac os burn dual layer dvd's yet?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There are some dual layer burner out there, but the media is not available as of yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.