Does going from 1gb to 2gb of ram make a difference?

Reaction score
hi-

if i went from 1gb of ram to 2 gb on the macbook, would it make a difference a lot? i'm not a big photoshop user, but i do enjoy using idvd/imovie, as well as having multiple tabs open in safari (as well has having widgets).

should i upgrade? i've heard from some on here that the bridge from 512 to 1gb is huge, but from 1 to 2 isn't so big. Does anyone have any opinions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
I belong to the "you can never have too much RAM" school -- and when prices are good like they are now, I highly suggest putting in as much as you can afford (or just max the sucker out).

With Leopard in particular, I think there is a significant difference between 1GB and 2GB of RAM in terms of interface.

--Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I find that OS X thrives on 2GB of RAM, regardless of how you use your machine. It simply feels smoother than at 1GB. Plus, your fans don't wind up as often since your hard drive doesn't need to spin up as often as the OS isn't using the page file so frequently.

Reaction score
I find that OS X thrives on 2GB of RAM, regardless of how you use your machine. It simply feels smoother than at 1GB.

Without a doubt! My Macbook came with 1GB and I upgraded it to 2GB and noticed an instant improvement in every area, even with the simple stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
Couldn't agree more. Plus, I couldn't believe how affordable an extra GB of RAM was at my local bestbuy. Makes a world of difference for a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

Reaction score
Memory prices all over are silly-cheap at the moment. I was going to buy a 2GB kit from Crucial but got distracted by something and didn't get around to it. The next day I went back and the price had dropped by £15! Bonus :D

It really is a great time to buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I belong to the "you can never have too much RAM" school --Chris

That's why I upgraded to 4GB (from 2GB) in my MBP. When running VMWare I notice a difference. I also have noticed shorter beachball sessions when they do come up. For a little more than $150 bucks it's been a good buy I think.

I remember paying $128 for a 128MB chip for my PC back in the late 90's (97 I think). I can't believe RAM is so cheap these days..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.