Switched to Leopard ...

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAARGGGHHHH !

OK, so I had my Leopard DVD DHL'd to me yesterday, picked up around 9pm and installed it same night.

I was originally going to do an Archive & Install, but for some weird reason there was no option for that or for 'simple upgrade' or 'erase and install', there was only an option to install... is that normal ?

Basically, first process was checking dvd integrity, then it installed on my HD and I rebooted to Leopard, keeping my files and settings, I'm assuming then it was an 'Upgrade.'

So I tried Software Update to get 10.5.1 update plus other updates for Leopard, it crashed and had to reboot, but eventually managed to install all the updates and performed Repair Disk Permissions ( which took much longer than Tiger.)

Generally, speed so far is somewhat like Tiger or a bit slower, I notice that Leopard has more processes open in Activity Monitor then Tiger did, and uses more RAM, i mean in Tiger I generally have more free and inactive memory in doing the same tasks.

Today, I kept getting an error with 'PubsubAgent' crashing; when it does; I get a sound like a hard drive is spinning.

Then, I opened Skype and it wouldn't open, has a light under it, but is unresponsive and can't Force Quit.

Opened iPhoto and Addressbook right after, and both same issue, won't respond, can't Force Quit, and can't report to Apple !

Also, now in the Finder, in Cover Flow view, icons won't show ...

What's wrong with Leopard ? I upgraded to 10.5.1, did the repair disk permissions, are you guys getting these issues ?

NEVER had apps under Tiger that i couldn't Force Quit ... I'm sure after I restart will be back to normal .. is this common among Leopard users ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Was this a disc sent to you from Apple as part of a new computer purchase? If so, no A & I option seems to be normal. Probably time for a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Backup what you need to and start fresh. Everyone that I've seen that's "upgraded" from Tiger has a much better experience on a fresh install.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I bought it from an Apple reseller in Malta, the box itself is the fancy 3-d effect one, came with instruction booklet, dvd, and stickers.

Little sticker on side corner of box has Apple Cupertino address, and assembled in Ireland, Mac OS X Retail Version.

Clean install sounds scary; I know how to back up common things like Music, Video, Pictures, Documents folders, as well as mail, but what about preferences and all the Apps i downloaded, is there a guide how to do a clean install, and will it really make a difference ?

I just don't want to go through a clean install, reinstall everything, then have the same issues come up ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I just did a fresh install (albeit of Tiger) on my Mini to prepare it for a new home. It wasn't that daunting of a task. I just put all of my apps that I downloaded, photos, etc. on a DVD. I made a burn folder on the desktop and just put everything in that, put in a blank DVD, then clicked "Burn" - it couldn't have been any easier. As far as "re-installing" goes, quite a bit of software for the Mac is just drag and drop into the Applications folder and you're done (with the exception of most larger apps). At any rate, it will take a little bit of time (a couple of hours), but as with any OS it will most likely run as close to perfect as it can with nothing on it, then adding additional programs shouldn't make it worse (at least in the Apple world, they did it right when it comes to keeping the OS locked away from the rest of the system).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, I bought it from an Apple reseller in Malta, the box itself is the fancy 3-d effect one, came with instruction booklet, dvd, and stickers.

Little sticker on side corner of box has Apple Cupertino address, and assembled in Ireland, Mac OS X Retail Version.

Clean install sounds scary; I know how to back up common things like Music, Video, Pictures, Documents folders, as well as mail, but what about preferences and all the Apps i downloaded, is there a guide how to do a clean install, and will it really make a difference ?

I just don't want to go through a clean install, reinstall everything, then have the same issues come up ...

Here's what I would do. Use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to backup the entire hard drive. Do an Erase & Install. When the install completes, you'll be prompted to run the Migration Assistant, which you can use to access your CCC backup to bring in all of your Applications, Settings, Documents, Music, etc. It works very well, but some programs that have complex installers (most notably MS Office) will be broken by the process and need to be reinstalled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
When you install, click on 'Customize' to get upgrade / erase options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, stayed up till 6 AM getting all that done, opted for an Archive & Install, had I seen the Options tab would have done it first time, am downloading the 10.5.1 and other updates via Software Update and then am going to Repair Permissions.

Hope this lets Leopard run smoothly .. or maybe 10.5.2 is the answer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.