Connect to Verizon Fios Router

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am in the process of defecting from years of using Windows PCs.

I am getting an iMac desktop tomorrow, and I am a newbie on this forum.

I am connected to Verizon Fios Internet via an Actiontec Motorola modem (MI424WR).

I did a search of this forum, and did not find much about connecting a new iMac to Verizon Fios. Verizon's website did not have anything for the Mac unless I missed it?

I have Fios currently setup using a coax connection from my home networks cat5 wiring. I have another computer set up wirelessly with a D-link wireless adapter. I also have a D-link Cable Router that I am not using currently.

Any help, instructions,links, links to tutorials, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow- not even one reply!

Well, I unhooke the PC from my Fios modem. I left the coaxrunning frommy data port to the Actiontec modem. That left one cable (the ethernet one) which I plugged in to the ethernet port on my iMac. Bongo- the internetwas there without any big deal as far as the installation.

I hope this will help someone else switching from a PC to a Mac and using Verion Fios.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not sure if anyone here has FIOS.

But as you experienced, networking just works with Macs. There isn't any reason any net connection wouldn't work on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Welcome back schweb!

I have FiOS w/ a D-Link wireless router. Wireless or wired w/ CAT5, it doesn't matter. My MacBook loves FiOS. ^_^

It's funny though. My bro-in-law was here with my sis-in-law for Christmas. He brought his Dell laptop running Vista. He was unable to connect to my wireless network despite our efforts. After about a half hour of trying, he gave up.

(I have no trouble using FiOS and my D-Link with Win XP Pro or any Linux variants.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
just plug it in or turn on your wireless connection and will be connected as long as you are in range.....i didnt like the dlink router that came with fios so i picked up an Airport extreme.

i am confused though, they gave you a modem with the fios connection? my fios connection has the box in the basement that comes from the street....and then goes straight to the router.

OP
B
Reaction score
Fios

Thanks for replies.

Maybe, coming from a Windows PC, I have some different terminology in my little lexicon. And, maybe I need more information on what is in my new iMac?

My D-link "router" was also a "Broadband Cable Modem" or "cable router". I thought the Motorola that Verizon used to replace my D-link? was also a "cable modem or cable router" ?

My other PC, that my wife uses, is hooked up wirelessly to the internet
through the Verizon "cable router". Where does the other Apple Mac network ( Airport Express?) device come into this equation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
Welcome back schweb!

I have FiOS w/ a D-Link wireless router. Wireless or wired w/ CAT5, it doesn't matter. My MacBook loves FiOS. ^_^

It's funny though. My bro-in-law was here with my sis-in-law for Christmas. He brought his Dell laptop running Vista. He was unable to connect to my wireless network despite our efforts. After about a half hour of trying, he gave up.

(I have no trouble using FiOS and my D-Link with Win XP Pro or any Linux variants.)
A little late, but I have FIOS with a Netgear Router and my MacBook had no problem connecting to the wireless/wired network. I have used PC laptops also with no problem.

When my brother-in-law came over, he was even able to connect his iPhone to my network.

FIOS comes with a D-Link router, but I upgraded to a Netgear router and have much better coverage throughout my whole house, unlike the D-Link that had sporadic and horrible coverage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.