External HD issue

Reaction score
Last night my 250GB Seagate HD, housed in a FW400 enclosure stopped working. First I thought it was the enclosure as it looked like the power to it had died. So, I removed the drive and installed it in another enclosure. When connected, again via firewire, I get the error "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer". I went into the disk utility and the drive shows up but with no volumes and even stranger it has a new name. Disk First Aid is not available as the options are greyed out. I have a lot of data on the drive, some of it backed up however about 30gigs is not. So, I tried using DiskWarrior to try and repair the drive, however it does not see the drive. So after much frustration and poking around various forums I used Data Rescue II. It seemed to fix similar issues that others have been having, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was excited to see the drive being read, even to the point that it had located 12000+ files. However, after the scan was complete the results came back with no files recovered. Please help, what can I do to salvage the data off this drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi babalu, welcome to Mac Forums. I am very sorry to hear about your drive, but it does sound as if it has unrecoverably died. Unfortunately, all hard drives will die eventually - it is just a matter of time. Yours seem to have gone sooner than most however. I think your only option may be to take it to a professional data recovery outfit and see if they can get the files back.

Reaction score
If you do have to resort to a data recovery service remember that they do charge some pretty high prices mostly because most the customers are desperate to get valuable data back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.