WD Passport 2.5" 320GB External Hard Drive

Reaction score
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...gital&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1193234237337

I'll most likely be buying my first MBP after Macworld so I was thinking about buying this hard drive now since it's on sale.

Is it possible to open the hard drive case without damaging it so I could exchange the drive inside with the one from the laptop?
If anyone has successfully done this with other WD external drives, please give me some detail instructions on how to do it.

Thanks,
Summer2000

OP
S
Reaction score
same guide.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/Hard-Drive-Replacement/115/10/

as with all forums, use search :)

also, if you do the install, your warranty is bye bye. unless u reswap the drives before apple takes a look at it.

Sorry but you misunderstood my question. I know how to replace the MBP drive and I'm fully aware about the warranty issue.

I want to know how to safely open the WD Passport case so I can take the hard drive out and exchange it with the MBP's drive.

Thanks,
Summer2000

Reaction score
i did it on my macbook. the case for the external hard drive just popps apart. get a small screwdriver or something similar and pry it apart. then you have to take off some protective foil stuff and remove the usb adapter from the hd. then when i took the hd out of my macbook there was a carriage that you have to swap to the new hd. then put everything back together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
im sure th WD case is quite easy, but this really isnt the best place to ask that :)

i had only two screws on my hitachi case, baaam 5 min. its really one of those, "you have to wait till u see it up close" type things

OP
S
Reaction score
i did it on my macbook. the case for the external hard drive just popps apart. get a small screwdriver or something similar and pry it apart. then you have to take off some protective foil stuff and remove the usb adapter from the hd. then when i took the hd out of my macbook there was a carriage that you have to swap to the new hd. then put everything back together.

Hi scifone,
I just picked the drive and opened it as you said (I used a butter knife).
Thanks for your help.

Summer2000

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.