Idle Screen Backlight Shutoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Hey everyone,
For some reason, when I leave my computer sitting idle for a few minutes (plugged in or unplugged), my screen backlight shuts off

and it is just the backlight that shuts off, not the actual screen (I can still see the images on the screen)
and when it does shutoff, the white led on the screen release does not even light up

Here are my energy saver settings

Picture 1.png Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Mine gets dimmer after a few minutes then shuts off after time specified.

OP
NPuter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yea, but mine does not get dimmer, or shut off -the backlight just turns off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz 17" MacBook Pro
Macbook Pro backlight

Same problem here with a 17" macbook Pro
all my settings are good. can still see the windows open on the screen...but no light.
with cinema display plugged in, the additional display works fine, screen saver starts when set to, etc. but the laptop monitor still goes dark after about 3 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz 17" MacBook Pro
backlight help

well....after reading some more threads on this issue, i tried just moving around the settings and then putting them back to where i had them originally.....and now it works fine.
dont ask me why. i just hope this doesnt mean i have to do this everytime i boot up the computer.

if anyone finds a fix for this, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz 17" MacBook Pro
Backlight help

since my last post i had the same problem after rebooting.
i have gone through reboots after each change now....and so far the only thing that seems to work for me is turning off and back on the "automatically reduces backlight" in the options of energy saver, in both batttery and power modes.
since i did that, it has worked fine...even after rebooting 3 times.

hopefully this has corrected the problem

my macbook is only a week old, and i dont know if i actually had clicked on those tabs yet....so maybe that is all it takes to fix the bug????????

I will post again if it goes back to the original problem

OP
NPuter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
since my last post i had the same problem after rebooting.
i have gone through reboots after each change now....and so far the only thing that seems to work for me is turning off and back on the "automatically reduces backlight" in the options of energy saver, in both batttery and power modes.
since i did that, it has worked fine...even after rebooting 3 times.

hopefully this has corrected the problem

my macbook is only a week old, and i dont know if i actually had clicked on those tabs yet....so maybe that is all it takes to fix the bug????????

I will post again if it goes back to the original problem

that works for me too... but when I restart it just goes back to the way it was :Not-Amused: Glad it worked for you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.