Long time PC user making the switch...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Just wanting to drop in and say... Hi!!!

Long time PC user. Started with computers with a Commodore 64. Also learned to program on mainframe applications a long, long time ago... (back in the days when you had card punchers, card readers, and had to manually load your compiler by card reader). I've since used several PCs and operating systems, all Windows, including NT4, ME, 2000, and a current piece of junk at work called Microsoft Server 2003. The only Mac I used for a short time was a CP/M based Apple, and that was also a long time ago.

In any case, my last PC recently decided to do like a flash bang and literally blew up. I believe the power supply went, and unfortunately, took the motherboard with it. I made the decision a few weeks after to migrate to a 20" iMac 2.4GHz with two gigs of memory, and a Western Digital My Book external hard drive to enable Time Machine.

Life is good! ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Life will get even better when you find that you're no longer wasting time on maintaining your machine and actually using it.

Congrats on the switch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
welcome! I just recently switched (like 4 days ago) as well (we even have the same iMac) you should find what you're looking for here.. it's helped me out quite a bit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Welcome, and you will find you will start enjoying using computers....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
New Switcher

Hi, Welcome to the forum,all your questions will be answered here. I have same setup as yours minus the Externel Hd, I love it, as an ex PC user , can state I'll never go back-Good Luck with your new syatem. Van

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
What was your issue with Windows Server 2003? That is a pretty stable platfom if you take the time to use good hardware.

OP
WolfsBane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
What was your issue with Windows Server 2003? That is a pretty stable platfom if you take the time to use good hardware.

Unfortunately, we don't. We are currently using Windows Server 2003 on a thin client platform. Our preferences change almost on a daily basis, my coworkers have to go hunting for their saved links and documents all the time. And the system is painfully slow, unstable and unreliable. Often, it takes 2-3 minutes to print a document. It is so bad, that we were told more than once to log off the computers that our clients use to do their work and research out so that staff could use their terminals. The emphasis is obviously on securing the system to the point that it is practically locked out... even to it's intended end users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Congrats on the switch! I'm pretty sure you would love it very much, since you won't bother with system maintenance as much as you did with PC's.

And, welcome to Mac Forums! Enjoy your stay! :D

Reaction score
Can I join the party too? My 24" 2.4GHz iMac arrived on Christmas eve, but I waited patiently until Christmas Day to open it. I spent a good portion of yesterday getting to know it. I'm not a Windows hater because I've never had an unstable PC in my home. In fact, I ordered Parallels and Windows XP before I even ordered my mac. I just happened to wander into an Apple store at the mall one Saturday and it was love at first sight. Once I found out macs could run Windows too, I was sold (why limit yourself when you can have the best of both worlds?) Anyway, just thought I'd join the lovefest too.

James

Reaction score
welcome to the club bro... mac will make you smarter :D:D or on some case, look smarter :D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, 500Gb Iomega ext. HDD for Time Machne
I also have recently switched (20th December, from now known as i-day in my calendar) and I also went for the same setup - 20", 2.4Ghz C2D with 2Gb RAM and 320Gb HDD. I was also seriously considering buying a Western Digital 500Gb MyBook from a store near me, but because Apple screwed up my order online I decided to visit the local (40 miles away) apple store and boughtvmy iMac there, and they gave me 10% on any additional purchases because of the error :D

Got to say, even though I had a bit of a bad experience (hey, things like this happen from time to time!) I was shocked when they gave me a 10% discount on anything else I wanted (single use though) as my experience hadn't really been that bad - just an accidental delay of a week.

I love OSX in the short time I've been using it, my iMac is just sexy, loving the keyboard, getting used to the mouse (I like it default style in OS X but 2 button in games, which is a bit awkward). Had one or two glitches like my Dashboard stopped working (fixed it - permissions issue on a Managed account for my son caused it - bit weird but no lasting damage) and a missing icon for a currently mounted volume (yes I checked Finder preferences and external drives are on).

Besides that, welcome to the club! I think that I'm now the 2nd newest person and not the newest :Evil:

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread, just wanted to say - You're not alone in the switch!

Cheers,
The other new guy.

Reaction score
... Started with computers with a Commodore 64...

My first was a Commodore 64 too. I miss Archon and Jumpman. But I loved being able to navigate anywhere on the screen to change lines of code in Basic. Eventhough I'd forget to hit 'Return' occasionally after changing a line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Welcome to the dark side...

..only everything is nice and white and clean... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.