Restoring iTunes Music Library from iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
So, here's the deal...

I have an iBook with a 60GB HD and over 35GB of music in iTunes. As the iBook was getting sluggish, I decided to put the library on an external HDD, as well as keeping it on my 80GB iPod.

Disappointingly, the external HDD has turned its toes up and died, so I only have one copy of my music library, which is happily unaffected, on my iPod.

I would like to restore my iTunes library to a new HDD.

How do I do it??

All ideas gratefully received...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
So, here's the deal...

I have an iBook with a 60GB HD and over 35GB of music in iTunes. As the iBook was getting sluggish, I decided to put the library on an external HDD, as well as keeping it on my 80GB iPod.

Disappointingly, the external HDD has turned its toes up and died, so I only have one copy of my music library, which is happily unaffected, on my iPod.

I would like to restore my iTunes library to a new HDD.

How do I do it??

All ideas gratefully received...
Searching the forums and using Senuti

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did try searching but didn't find a cogent answer... very much aware that I am repeating a probably oft-quoted tale but I only have a couple of hours in which to do this...

thanks for the senuti tip... will have a look

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
using sentui overnight, I now have all my music copied to a folder on my external HDD... however, iTunes says my iPod is synced to a different music library and will not recognise the library on my external drive... so the music is there, I can point iTunes to the folder and tell it this is the library but it doesn't populate iTunes with any tunes... it's still completely empty

So far, the only option I can find within iTunes is re-loading my iPod from my library ie over-writing the music that is on it with everything in the new library - nothing at all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Have you tried launching iTunes holding down the option key. You can then point to where your new library location is

Blast .. On second thought this only works when dragging your iTunes library to another location so this might work or not

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.