PC quicken Vs Quicken for Mac

Reaction score
I'm a long time PC Quicken user and have been looking into transferring my data into Quicken for Mac on my new MBP. Customer reports on Quicken for Mac on Amazon are awful and the information on the Intuit website regarding transferring data from PC to Mac does not inspire confidence. My bank online department was not encouraging either.

I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off using Bootcamp and sticking with the PC version of Mac?

Is Parallel or another program a better bet. I'm not a Mac expert so that I want to use the easiest method.

Thanks,

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well the problem with using BootCamp is you'd have to reboot your system just to access Quicken. If you use Parallels, you'll save yourself at least that much trouble.

I can't be much more helpful than that. I've only recently started to try Quicken for Mac myself (new to money-management programs) and haven't done much with it yet. I can tell you that there is only one other personal finance application that does direct-connect importing of your banking information like Quicken and Money do. It's called MoneyDance, and is supposed to be pretty good. You may want to read up on that and give it a whirl. I wouldn't ditch Quicken for Windows though until you've thoroughly tested the alternatives, if you decide to do so.

Reaction score
We are having problems with market value showing up correctly when transferring the data. Appears in Profoli view but not in register or account lists. Quicken Canada does not even support the Quicken for Mac. To reduce our headache, we are going to get refund and use Parallels

Reaction score
Is Parallel or another program a better bet. I'm not a Mac expert so that I want to use the easiest method.
I'm a recent Mac convert as well (my Christmas present to myself;D ) currently running Quicken 2006 through Parallels on my Intel iMac (4 gigs ram). I booted to Windows using Bootcamp and installed Quicken. The only issue I had during installation was that I had my QDATA on a USB stick and for some reason, I couldn't import it from there. I created a new folder in My Documents in Windows and saved the file there. When Quicken asked me from where I wanted to import, I pointed to that file and Boom! it worked lika a charm. All my data, settings, passwords, and online banking links worked right off the bat. I've had no problems running it this way.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
First, the backstory. I'm a long-time Quicken user. Since my switch to Mac, I've used Fusion to run Windows to run Quicken. I don't know about you guys, but I use Quicken every day, sometimes several times a day. I was getting tired of starting up my virtual machine every time I wanted to check a balance or make an entry. I looked at a LOT of the for-Mac financial software (e.g., Liquid Ledger) and they weren't as powerful/feature-rich as Quicken. Last month I got desperate enough to buy ($75) Quicken for Mac (macwax, I too had read the reviews and forums). Intuit trumpets the Quicken-entry Dashboard widget, which did sound cool and handy. Anyway, one week trying to use Quicken for Mac made me want to die. It was basically unusable. The Dashboard widget was snazzy and worked as advertised, but everything else was confusing and didn't even seem to work! So I was back to using Fusion/Windows/Quicken.

Now to my point. Someone on this forum mentioned Crossover (in the context of running IE on Mac I think). I checked out Crossover, and saw it supports Quicken. Crossover runs select Windows applications on a Mac without any Windows installation at all. This is so cool. So now I have a Quicken icon in my dock. I click it, Crossover opens and runs Quicken for Windows. Ready to go faster than virtual machine, without having to share any hardware resources with Windows. Crossover has a 30-day trial, then costs $60, $40 with an education discount.

There's one caveat though. Codeweavers ranks the performance of these bottle-apps, and Quicken 2006 and 2007 have Bronze medal rankings. That means they will run, but could have some bugs...I have been running Quicken 2007 for three weeks now, with no stability problems. The only thing I've noticed is that I wasn't able to get internet transaction downloads to work. I didn't try to get it to work. I just noticed that it didn't. That doesn't bother me, because I enter transactions as I go...That might be vital to some of you. Maybe you can get it to work; I don't know.

Well anyway, I just wanted to let you know there's another option that I'm happy with. You'll have to judge what will be best in your situation.

Reaction score
We have been using Quicken 2005 within Crossover for about a week. No problems. Able to download transactions to bank accounts. Price update work ok. Sounds do not work well. It as been stable enough for us to purchase Crossover.

DBP

Reaction score
I have been a Quicken user on Windows for 15 years. I purchased a Macbook Pro last December and was waiting for Mac Essentials to come out. After reading the comments and reviews on Essentials, I just couldn't give up the functions that I'm used to. I use Quicken Home and Business 2009 on my Dell GX280. I got on a chat session in the Intuit support web site and asked for an EXE that I could use to recreate the Quicken programs in case I lost a hard drive and had to reinstall Quicken. I downloaded a EXE thru a link given to me by Intuit. The EXE will recreate the quicken programs. On my Macbook Pro I created a 32GB partition using bootcamp this week. I ran the EXE on the windows partition on the Mac to create the Quicken programs. I saved the Quicken files to CD on the Dell and restored to the windows partition on the Mac. Everything works on the Mac exactly as it did on the Dell. Good luck.

I'm a long time PC Quicken user and have been looking into transferring my data into Quicken for Mac on my new MBP. Customer reports on Quicken for Mac on Amazon are awful and the information on the Intuit website regarding transferring data from PC to Mac does not inspire confidence. My bank online department was not encouraging either.

I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off using Bootcamp and sticking with the PC version of Mac?

Thanks,

John

Reaction score
I am a long time quicken pc user - 15 years. Loved all features and used it daily - if not multiple times a day. Switched to a mbp in July and converted data to Quicken Mac. Have hated the process ever since. Can't keep up with brokerage/investments accurately and therefore net worth is faulty. I have waited for Quicken 2010 but have been on the fence about converting. Now that I have read reviews, I don't want to continue.

I have my old Dell with data from July. I would like to figure out the most simple way to set up the Mac to run quicken 2010 for PC. I am not a techie. I would like advice on what to use and how to set it up. I assume that I will need them to update and accept/modify all trx since July 2009. I am prepared to do this. Crossover seems to be the solution. I paid for one to one and have that option if you think it might be helpful. I would appreciate any suggestions or help. Thanks - Michele

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Come on, a 2 year old thread to revive? you're joking right?

I have been a Quicken user on Windows for 15 years. I purchased a Macbook Pro last December and was waiting for Mac Essentials to come out. After reading the comments and reviews on Essentials, I just couldn't give up the functions that I'm used to. I use Quicken Home and Business 2009 on my Dell GX280. I got on a chat session in the Intuit support web site and asked for an EXE that I could use to recreate the Quicken programs in case I lost a hard drive and had to reinstall Quicken. I downloaded a EXE thru a link given to me by Intuit. The EXE will recreate the quicken programs. On my Macbook Pro I created a 32GB partition using bootcamp this week. I ran the EXE on the windows partition on the Mac to create the Quicken programs. I saved the Quicken files to CD on the Dell and restored to the windows partition on the Mac. Everything works on the Mac exactly as it did on the Dell. Good luck.

Reaction score
I am a forum newbie (1st post) and a Mac Newbie, as well. I have also been using Quicken Windows for 15 years (1995 must have been a good year for Quicken). It has been my most dependable application for windows over the years, and has improved with each updated version. I had recently updated to Deluxe 2010. Before I purchased my iMac, I checked to make sure there was a Mac version available, which played a part in my decision to change. I assumed that I would load it and it would look exactly like it had on my PC. Unfortunately, I did not do any research, and after loading QE, I was horrified. It transferred the data OK, thanks to 2010 having a conversion tool to export data for Mac. I am here researching and seeking advice as to whether there is a comparable financial application or whether it is feasible to run Quicken Deluxe 2010 on my Mac.

Reaction score
As a follow-up, it appears that Quicken Essentials for Mac is little more than a glorified check register. It does not have the capability of direct Bill Pay, as QWin does. To me, that is the marquee function of QWin, that I have been using for the last 15 years. Old habits are hard to break, but I guess I will have to give up on Quicken, since there are free internet based services like Mint.com that can do the same thing. Good thing that QE is 100% refundable for 60 days. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 14", M2 Pro, 32GB RAM
Yep...I'm done with Intuit. They don't care. Going with Moneydance instead.

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.