Windows Viruses

Reaction score
I downloaded a few videos off of a torrent, which, after i had downloaded them I read in the comments that they had some kind of trojan in them. I'm just wondering if these these can affect my Mac at all if I open them? I have 10.5, but I also have Parallels running XP. Maybe is there some way I can scan them? Thanks for the help.

-RO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
As long as you don't provide your username/password for anything unknown, there should be no problem.

The trojan issue was a pr0n site which was asking you to install a codec to play their video files. When you went through the installation, it asked you for username/password. That's when it infected the user.

If you don't do that, you have no worries (as of yet).

Remembe, NO windows virus will affect your mac. It has to be written specifically for the mac to infect you.

As for scanning (just so your windows friends don't get infected), you can use ClamX or Norton Antivirus for Mac 11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Any Windows viruses you download could be passed on to your Windows using friends via e-mail or other methods though. Depending on your point of view, and if you like your windows using friends, this could be be good or bad....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I had a similar incident and could not get rid of the Bot that was on the XP partition. I suggest you collect the really important stuff and reinstall XP to minimize the issues with the XP part. Some of those viruses are really tough to kill. XP is faster to reinstall or better yet, after you rebuild your XP world, make a duplicate of it as a backup. Parallels is very cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.