Print & Fax Utility

Reaction score
Help!!!!!

I've lost the print and fax icon in the hardware section of my system preferences. I even went into time machine and went back several weeks. i cannot find it!! I did a forced shut down this afternoon, but, even going back in time I don't see the print & fax icon. What do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Is it under System preferences>View?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
The required package is located in
<HDD>/System/Library/PreferencePane/PrintAndFax.prefPane
If the file is there, you can try the following.
1) Create a new user and see whether it would show up for him.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I copied and pasted that location and there is no icon. What's the deal. Even going back to December 1 on Time Machine doesn't show it. I don't understand how to create a new user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
system preferences>Accounts. Click the + icon at the bottom. Set it up then log out and log in under the new account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
To create a new user go to
System Preferences > Accounts
Click on the + symbol. The rest should be self explanatory.
Once you create a new user, log in with that account and see whether the missing symbol appears there.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
After my computer locked up and I force shut it down, I tried to print something, and when I looking into system preferences, the print/fax utility icon was missing. I went back in time with time machine, and replaced system preferences, but, under hardware utilities, print & fax pane is still missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try a Repair Permission from booted install DVD and clean install of printer drivers.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Solved my problem. Downloaded a little program that allowed me to pick out the software I needed from the install disk. Without loaded the entire disk. It is called Pacifist. Very cool.

M

MacHeadCase

Well imagine this! I was going to suggest Pacifist to you!

I saw your thread this a.m., had some errands to run and thought I'd check in when I came back and, if it was still a problem, I was gonna recommend it to you. It's a very handy little utility indeed!

Glad you got it solved, jacintosh. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.