Automator- rename files -Different-

Reaction score
Okay I have read the tutorials on how to rename a bunch of files in automator, but I wanted to know if it was possible to rename everything but the numbers. I have a bunch of video files named whatevername 123 [1-3].flv and I want to keep the numbers but changed the text part. Is this possible or do I have to do all 123 of them manually

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in automator it can be tricky, and it may sequence them out of order if you can get it to do it.

i highly recommend renamer4mac. i use it enough that i've added it as a button on the top of my finder windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You choose 'replace text' as the naming scheme.

attachment.php

It will then leave the rest of the file name alone (numbers, extension, etc).

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You get the option when you save the workflow. "Save As Plugin". When the sheet pulls down, next to 'Plug-in for:' select 'Finder'.

That works well when the first action is "Get selected finder items". Because then in the Finder you can select a bunch of files, right click, and run the workflow on them only.

Otherwise I suggest saving it as a Script Menu item. Quick access for non-file related options, such as synchronizing an FTP folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.