IBook DVD Tiger install failure

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade a friends Ibook to Tiger but everytime we put in the DVD or try to boot from the DVD the IBook just ejects it. Doesn't even seem to see the DVD at all.

I tried a DVD movei and that worked fine.

Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am trying to upgrade a friends Ibook to Tiger but everytime we put in the DVD or try to boot from the DVD the IBook just ejects it. Doesn't even seem to see the DVD at all.

I tried a DVD movei and that worked fine.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a bad disc to me. I would have your friend take it back to where he/she bought it from.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I should have mentioned this, it seems fine in my Mac Book....

Is it the install CD that came with your MacBook? If so, that would be Intel-only, won't work on a PPC machine. Also keep in mind that restore discs (i.e. non-retail) are model-specific.

OP
T
Reaction score
No....it is a seperate Tiger install disc he bought. We did try the restore disks from my Mac Book so I found out about that the hard way.

Is there a firmware upgrade or something I need to do to prep the IBook for Tiger?

Reaction score
It might be because the iBook doesn't have a DVD-ROM. Is it a iBook G4? I know the first batch of iBook G4 that came out had only CD-ROM capability. Lift up the keyboard and you should be able to see on a white sticky behind the upper left corner of the keyboard.

OP
T
Reaction score
Based on what I get from the system info it does, and like I said a m0vie DVD did work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is it the full retail black coloured Tiger disc, or a grey model specific disc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.