• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Outrageous price difference Canada and USA

Reaction score
I ask all Canadians to write to Amazon.ca and complain. I wanted to buy Toast 8 as a gift for a friend. At Amazon.com its $58 after rebate. At Amazon Canada its $99.99!

I called Amazon Canada and they gave me the usual story about Amazon Canada being a separate company who buys from a different supplier. I wanted to tell her, get another supplier!

Of course, Amazon.com will not sell that product to me in Canada.

Only if we make a fuss, will this change.

Reaction score
Including shipping ( U.S. to Canada), you would save money if you had a friend or relative in the USA purchase the software for you.

Regarding Amazon.ca -- I agree, that's just wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Not sure since I'm in Aus, but what's the difference between USD and CAD? Could that possibly explain it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
1 U.S. dollar is equal to about 1.00110021 Canadian dollars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
The dollar is in the can right now and the markets haven't adjusted to it yet. Hopefully it wont stay like this but if it does the either the canadian prices will drop or US prices will rise. I have a feeling it will be the later. Hopefully the US can bring the dollar out of it's plunge :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Heres the thing, the lower our dollar is, the more can be bought from other countries :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Heres the thing, the lower our dollar is, the more can be bought from other countries :)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but if the dollar goes down we get less euros or pounds or whatever for our dollars. So we can buy less from other countries for the same amount of dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The Canadian $ is actually worth more than the US $

They are roughly on par right now, with the difference sliding back and forth by extremely small amounts.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

You think that is bad come to rip-off Britain.

While it may be partly due to exchange rates, the Pound being so much higher than the Dollar right now, it's also the ridiculous amount of tax that the British Government levies on it's citizens. The VAT alone is just stupid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
The VAT alone is just stupid.

dont we just know it! its cheaper for me to fly to new york and back to get my shopping than it is for me to go shopping in london!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
It's all the taxes that Canadians pay. Everyone gripes about the state of US taxation, but we are far better off in that regard than our neighbors to the North! In May, a friend of mine and I each bought new Honda Ridgelines, fully loaded. He paid nearly $13k more than I did, and it's all related to taxes. That sad thing? Our trucks were built in Toronto, and even after mine was 'imported' to the US, it was cheaper here.

And you can't buy a new US-spec Honda and take it North without losing all warranty coverage. I'd bet Apple has similar restrictions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.