Best way to remove stickers?

Reaction score
Hope this is the right forum for this.

Well, I just got my sister and iBook for Christmas. It is an Orange G3. It cam covered with stickers that just do not want to let go of the plastic. Any suggestions for getting them off without damaging the iBook?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am not sure on how to get them off. But I know that WD40 can be used to remove the sticky remains of tape. It works will with masking tape. Then you have the problem with cleaning off the WD40.

That is almost like the situation with the Cat in the Hat. When he had to clean the cake ring from the bath tub (reading to my grand daughter). :)

OP
X
Reaction score
Hmm... I don't remember that part of the Cat in the Hat, I guess I will have to get it out and look through it. I talked to my mom about it. She said vegetable oil. Again there is the problem with getting it off afterwords. Do you think rubbing alcohol would work?

OP
X
Reaction score
Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the scale of the task that is ahead of me. I wasn't kidding when I said covered was I?

dscf5320aw6.jpg

dscf5321rp4.jpg

dscf5322kj8.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
OMG!!!! :)

does that laptop have a modified Cold air intake? :) haha i have a product called sticker off, i just used it on my MB, but man, thats gonna take a while

OP
X
Reaction score
OMG!!!! :)

does that laptop have a modified Cold air intake? :) haha i have a product called sticker off, i just used it on my MB, but man, thats gonna take a while

No cold air intake but with all those stickers it should have 320 horse power. :D We all know that each sticker adds 5hp. (yes I counted 64 stickers and that is after I took the ones on the apple key and the speaker off)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
I've used goo-b-gone. It works like a charm and it has an orange scent, which would be nice on the orange iBook ;)

Good Luck!

BTW: you can get goo-b-gone at your local Ace Hardware or HomeDepot...:D

Cheers!
iMac/iBookKid500 :D

Reaction score
Use a hair dryer to heat them up. They should peel off much easier. Follow that up with some Goo Gone to remove the residue. Job done!

OP
X
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys, I think we have some goo-b-gone in the garage and I will try the hair dryer. It's a bit late tonight so I will start working on it tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
peel whatever you can off, then buy this thing called Goo-Gone. It's a yellow liquid that you can get from hardware stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Whatever you do DONT DONT DONT use "Goof-Off"... It will eat the plastic and make that thing look even worse than it does now. Goo-Gone works the best one you get the sticker up for getting all the leftover gunk.

OP
X
Reaction score
Well, I have managed to get all the bigger stickers off. Just kind of picked at them and then used some rubbing alcohol. Its those little ones that are gonna be a real pain. I don't have any goo-gone at the moment. Do you guys think some simple green will work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
pinstriperemovalkit.jpg

used in automotive pin stripe and decal removal, with the air tool, its totally regulated on fast you spin the wheel, and you control how much pressure.

unless the ibook is painted orange i wouldn't try this, but it works well on solid materials, and painted surfaces.

just my .02 cents. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used goo-b-gone. It works like a charm and it has an orange scent, which would be nice on the orange iBook ;)

Good Luck!

BTW: you can get goo-b-gone at your local Ace Hardware or HomeDepot...:D

Cheers!
iMac/iBookKid500 :D

this stuff took silver paint off the side of one of my TVs, id use with caution.

if you goto an autoparts store, they should have "bumper sticker remover". its the best solution ive used. I just got some bump pads off the bottom of my MB with it. Then again, there were only 5, not 64, and it took me 5-10min to get all the sticky off (carefully!)

5 to 10min/5 stickers x 64 = >= a couple hours

OP
X
Reaction score
this stuff took silver paint off the side of one of my TVs, id use with caution.

if you goto an autoparts store, they should have "bumper sticker remover". its the best solution ive used. I just got some bump pads off the bottom of my MB with it. Then again, there were only 5, not 64, and it took me 5-10min to get all the sticky off (carefully!)

5 to 10min/5 stickers x 64 = >= a couple hours

I actually got most of them off already. I am just trying to deal with some of the smaller ones and some stickiness left behind from a few of the bigger ones. I will just keep scraping it off with my fingernails as that seems to be working the best.

Reaction score
I use a water based paint remover for most of my cleaning lol. It'll get rid of your residue for sure though. good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually got most of them off already. I am just trying to deal with some of the smaller ones and some stickiness left behind from a few of the bigger ones. I will just keep scraping it off with my fingernails as that seems to be working the best.

the automotice bumper sticker remover works wonderful for the stick backing. saves minutes, and nails :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.