• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

US Army going Apple

M

MacHeadCase

Apples For The Army.

... Wallington, a division chief in the Army's office of enterprise information systems, says the military is quietly working to integrate Macintosh computers into its systems to make them harder to hack. That's because fewer attacks have been designed to infiltrate Mac computers, and adding more Macs to the military's computer mix makes it tougher to destabilize a group of military computers with a single attack, Wallington says.

This past year was a particularly tough one for military cybersecurity. Cyberspies infiltrated a Pentagon computer system in June and stole unknown quantities of e-mail data, according to a September report by the Financial Times. ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Awesome! I would love to see a picture of a meeting with all of the generals and the President using a MacBook and a projector and all of them smiling because it actually works :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmmm.... I just get this mental picture of a lovely iMac sitting in some grungy pit somewhere firing off missiles - just doesn't seem right, Macs are too "happy" for that sort of thing :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Will this lead to an increase of viruses and hacks for macs? I fear it will

Reaction score
This should work well unless they try to copy files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Will this lead to an increase of viruses and hacks for macs? I fear it will

Diversity makes everyone more secure.

Right now, one well-made hack can take down 90% of the world. Best not to put all your eggs in one basket.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not heard anyone hacking AIX, IRIX, Sun OS, Solairs or HP-UX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Reaction score
Bad idea... the glowing Apple will totally get you shot. ;D

It wouldn't be difficult to talk me into a kevlar MacBook Pro though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
Army buys Macs to stop Hacks

Given Apple's marketing toward the young and the trendy, you wouldn't expect the U.S. Army to be much of a customer. Lieutenant Colonel C.J. Wallington is hoping hackers won't expect it either.

Wallington, a division chief in the Army's office of enterprise information systems, says the military is quietly working to integrate Macintosh computers into its systems to make them harder to hack. That's because fewer attacks have been designed to infiltrate Mac computers, and adding more Macs to the military's computer mix makes it tougher to destabilize a group of military computers with a single attack, Wallington says.

Full article at forbes.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have not heard anyone hacking AIX, IRIX, Sun OS, Solairs or HP-UX.

You would be amazed at how much of the militaries infrastructure for Command & Control is based on UNIX or LINUX. There is a reason for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I can tell you that I would be ecstatic if the end user got a new system to use. Right now we use Windows 2000 (just upgraded this time last year from NT 4.0) and they have layers upon layers of security software, keyloggers, image capture programs, etc. installed - and the "new" computers are slower than the old ones (nevermind the "new" computers have only 512MB RAM and the old ones had 1GB.... I digress). All of the security software + the lack of RAM makes it impossible to get anything done. Between basic Office apps (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) you can't switch between apps, and once you are in one app, it is almost as if everything is running on a remote server via dialup...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Finely the US Army is doing something right. Wish the UK Army would also switch to mac's as well.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You would be amazed at how much of the militaries infrastructure for Command & Control is based on UNIX or LINUX. There is a reason for that.
I have read a long time ago, about a Navy ship that was shutdown due to a problem with Microsoft windows. I have worked on military contracts in the past and we also used some form of Unix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have read a long time ago, about a Navy ship that was shutdown due to a problem with Microsoft windows. I have worked on military contracts in the past and we also used some form of Unix.

A true story. They had to be towed back into port. It was an NT issue with an App trying to divide by zero for some thing or another and all heck breaking loose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's pretty interesting news. I'm actually looking into a military-related job with DFAS here in Indianapolis, but for the type of work I would be doing I suppose we would be stuck with Windows to due to software necessities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I just read somewhere that M$ replaced the NT servers with Solaris servers for running Hotmail services..... how do we trust something which the maker itself doesn't trust.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.