Share internet conection with Windows machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 700MH, Mac mini 1.66GH core duo, iPod 5G 60Gig
O.K. so I might be really dumb about the whole situation. Is it possible to get on the internet with my ibook through dial-up, then share the connection through to a windows machine over ethernet. I don't plan to use both at the same time, but I need to use windows for this one thing and I need to get it on the internet with no modem on the windows machine. Any help would be appreciated.

O

octohunter

It sounds to me like it could be done. I imagine if you select the ibook as your external modem when in windows it might work. I don't know much about this but I will see someone tomorrow who will definitely know and he'll know exactly how to acomplish it. I'll get back to you tomorrow. If you don't hear from me pm me.

OP
trp_m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks alot, I should have mentioned this earlier but the windows is only running 98 not xp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Yes, it's completely possible. You should be able to set it up easily by going to the Sharing menu in System Preferences.

OP
trp_m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what do i do on the windows side, i'm a mac user and have no idea how to set it up for something like this. i'm used to telling my computer to do something and it actually does it.

E

EdwardL

I'm a windows user, so I might be able to help.

1. Have you got a ethernet card in the windows box?

2. If yes, have you got a network up and running?

3. If yes, here's what to do.

a. Go to the Network Control panel (Start, Control Panel, Network Neighbourhood)
b. At the top of this window, you will see a series of six other tabs that say: “WINS Configuration”, “Gateway”, “DNS Configuration”, “Bindings”, “Advanced”, and “NetBIOS”.
c. Click WINS Configuration, and make sure “Disable WINS Resolution” is selected.
d. Click Gateway, and in the “New Gateway:” box, type the address of the computer with the internet connection, which should be 192.168.0.1, and click “add”.

Post back if there are any problems. Remember, I use Windows XP which is easier (It's all done with a wizard), so I'm copying from a tutorial.

OP
trp_m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it didn't work, those options weren't even there and I've decided that this just isn't worth the effort. I'll figure something else out. I do appreciate everyones help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
My old Toshiba laptop didn't require any changes to the network or ethernet settings when I connected it to my iBook. I just turned on Connection Sharing using the System preferences, connected the ethernet cable between the two machines, and everything worked fine. I think you might want to try restarting the Windows machine once it's hooked up and Connection Sharing has been activated. It really shouldn't be a difficult process at all.

OP
trp_m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If anyone was concerened I figured out why it wouldn't work. I got the PC for free from this lady who really doesn't understand computers and she, trying to free up disc space, deleted many of the esential files that it needs to do llittle things like, get on the internet, and do anything else worthwild. I'll have to reinstall the OS, which she kept, and then it will probably work. Thanks for all the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.