So many problems with my new MBP!!

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I finally made the bold move to purchase a new macbook pro 3 weeks ago. I got the base configuration that came preloaded with tiger and a lepoard install disk. I put lepoard on right when i booted it up and everything was going ok until lots of problems started arising.

1. Safari constantly froze. I fixed this by now using a different web browser so everything is ok there.

2. Almost everytime i try to boot up, it freezes on the white apple screen with the spinning wheel type thing. This is extremely frustrating because I use it at school to take notes and I lose alot of note taking time when my computer won't start up. This is my biggest issue.

3. The computer is just generally slow. Everything is sluggish and takes alot longer to open than the eMacs at my school which have about half the processing power and RAM of my MBP. Whats up here?

4. The infamous "ELP" problem, meaning the first letter i type in text boxes is usually missing. This is VERY annoying and it slows down my typing dramatically. I know this is a very common issue but just trying to see if a solution has been found.

5. Heat. This thing just gets so hot!!! I have SMC Fan Control and put my fans to 3500 or above at all times but it still gets rediculously hot. Any ideas?

6. I installed Boot Camp and it runs fine but when I boot into XP and want to come back into OSX and I click the "Click to restart into OSX.." button OSX startup ALWAYS freezes. I guess this is like my 2nd issue.

Today my computer froze on startup about 5 times. When it does freeze, what should I do?

I feel like my $2000 of hard earned money could have gone to something better.

Any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Oliver

P.S.- I have Applecare if that matters in any way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Have you accidentally deleted system files?

I would start with a fresh install to make sure that the system is clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
1. Safari constantly froze. I fixed this by now using a different web browser so everything is ok there.

2. Almost everytime i try to boot up, it freezes on the white apple screen with the spinning wheel type thing. This is extremely frustrating because I use it at school to take notes and I lose alot of note taking time when my computer won't start up. This is my biggest issue.

me too! these are leopard bugs i would recommend installing tiger while apple deals with these problems, i will be doing this as soon as i get my external hard drive for christmas. In regards to sluggishness and p-power i am not experienced enough to hazard a guess as to the reasons behind it.......sorry

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.

Well a new problem randomly sprung up. Parts of windows in firefox and other programs randomly turn yellow or green and stay that way until i move the mouse over them. What the....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Sounds like a major problem, if I were you I would return to get a new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
My MBP with Leopard runs just fine. It did when I did the upgrade for Tiger and it does now that I have done a erase and Leopard only install. Maybe I am just lucky. Safari is fine.... everything is fine.

I would try a erase and reinstall of Leopard. If that dosen't work, back to the Apple store I would go.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Shouldn't really have any of those issues. Have none of them on my MBP.
If you can boot into XP and have none of the same issues there - it sure makes me believe there is something wrong with the Leopard install.

I would also recommend an erase & install of Leopard. It will not affect your XP installation at all as long as you leave that partition alone.

If you have documents on the Leopard side that you need to backup - boot into XP and install the free trial of MacDrive7. This will allow you to read your OS X partition and copy whatever you need over to the XP side.

If you're still haveing the issues after a fresh install - straight away, back to the store with it I would go.

On the heat issue - kind of hard to say, since how hot is "so hot"? But, if you're talking about starting up something like a 3D game or anything else that really kicks in the video card - it's going to get hot. Too warm to keep it on your lap. It should be just fine on your lap while just browsing, using a text editor and such as long as you make sure the vents are kept free of obstruction.

OP
C
Reaction score
And the saga continues...

Today I tried to boot into WINDOWS and it said a system file was misssing. Alright, so I rebooted and cleared the PRAM and came back into OSX. OSX seems to be working alot better now which is good. I deleted the Windows partition with Boot Camp Assistant and I'll reinstall windows on that partition when i get home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.