I do not know how to interpret disc utility. Help me!

Reaction score
I ran disc utility cause the MacBook has been running slow lately and programs have occasionally suddenly quit. I got this message pasted below. What am I supposed to do? Any help would be appreciated. I have only been using a Mac for a few months and feel lost and a slight nostalgia for disc defragmenter:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
Invalid volume free block count
uld be %@ instead of %@)",2)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Stopped by user

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

OP
O
Reaction score
I repair button does not appear as an option. I can do the other three first aid tasks, but not repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Certain repairs cannot be performed while you are logged on to the OS. To fixed your problem, boot the system with the installation disk(Disk 1) and use the Disk Utility from there.

OP
O
Reaction score
will that affect anything i have on my computer? I have things backed up, but i'm just curious. also, when you say boot it with the disk, do you mean start the computer and then put in the installation disc? thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you use the Disk Utility for "repairing disk", it shall not destroy your data. Here is how you do it.

Insert the Disk.
Restart the Mac
During restart keep on pressing c to boot from the disk
Select the Disk Utility
Select the "Repair Disk"

OP
O
Reaction score
What causes the kind of problem I have? Is it something I am doing when using my computer? Once again, thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.