• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The number is growing

Reaction score
Many of them are members of the IPCC. Interesting that they didn't get listened to when the report first came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Hear, hear! I will read this report.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
@Moderators
May be you should open this thread and give the members another chance for an ethical debate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Moderators
May be you should open this thread and give the members another chance for an ethical debate.

I suggest we all skip that thread and maybe try here. I'll lay $$$ and odds that this one will end up the same way though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Many of them are members of the IPCC. Interesting that they didn't get listened to when the report first came out.

Good point. They use the scientists' connection with the IPCC to give them credit, but the article itself is in dispute with the IPCC's conclusions. What is that all about???

"Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007"

Ok, fine, but now many scientists agree? 200, 500, 4,000??? This is the classic "4 out of 5 doctors agree" marketing garbage you see in shady product advertisements. Anybody can round up enough people to agree with them in order to look more credible and impressive while completely ignoring those who don't agree. I don't know about you, but I feel pretty insulted that they think I could be swayed by such a common and weak ploy. Of course, as soon as I saw it was from the government, I knew it would be some knee-jerk garbage.

I am not a scientist, so I don't have a say either way, but there's a few pretty simple things that are undeniable to even the simplest minded person.

1. all the pollution can't possibly have a completely benign effect on the environment, no matter how big or small.

2. there is more to environmental conservation than global warming issues, but that's the only one that can be disputed, so that's what dissenters choose to latch on to and debate.

3. Honestly, doesn't anyone agree with the old saying "better safe than sorry" any more? If you see a forecast that it's going to rain today, you probably take an umbrella. There's no telling if it really will rain, so why do you take the umbrella?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) Agreed. Cleaning up to keep from killing ourselves I have no issues with.

2) That is only because that is what is being foisted so frantically upon the public by Al and the UN.

3) "Better Safe Than Sorry" is fine, but not the frantic almost desperate stance that is being taken by many of the politicians leading this crusade. Better emissions standards, recycling and so on are all good things. But the government(s) or the UN stepping in and forcibly implementing anything is the wrong way to go about it. Remember the adage, "You catch more flies with Honey than Vinegar". If you sell this right people will gladly be onboard with it. If you force it upon them they will spit it back at you.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
I am not a scientist, so I don't have a say either way, but there's a few pretty simple things that are undeniable to even the simplest minded person.

1. all the pollution can't possibly have a completely benign effect on the environment, no matter how big or small.

2. there is more to environmental conservation than global warming issues, but that's the only one that can be disputed, so that's what dissenters choose to latch on to and debate.

3. Honestly, doesn't anyone agree with the old saying "better safe than sorry" any more? If you see a forecast that it's going to rain today, you probably take an umbrella. There's no telling if it really will rain, so why do you take the umbrella?

Those are some very good points but there is 1) a big difference between being anti-pollution (which I think all of us are) and saying man is capable of destroying the planet. 3) Better safe then sorry is a good idea except when it has the possibility of destroying some nations economies . I remember a few years ago I went to the NASA site and looked at a satellite they had (since removed) that showed where the greenhouse gasses were being produced, etc. The US was actually one of the cleanest countries in the world. The two top greenhouse gas producing areas? The west coast of Africa and all of South America - why? Because of fires set by lightening that have to burn themselves out, i.e., what appears to be a natural thing - not man-induced. I also join others and hope this thread does not descend into a flaming contest. IF we can discuss this in a friendly manner (albeit disagreeing agreeably) then there might be hope for the same thing happening on a larger scale. I also noticed that these scientists were actually members - which brings up the statement: consensus is not science.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Does anyone here want to talk about Global Warming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i think global warming is real but it isnt quite as big a problem as it is shown in An Inconvenient Truth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Lets all remember that the earth has been warming and cooling in cycles over a very long period of time, and has been doing so for a lot longer than we puny humans can take "credit" for. I don't doubt that all of the pollution we create is not good for us or for the planet, but I believe we over exaggerate our impact. All of this "sky is falling" stuff being promulgated by Messrs. Gore and company just makes me crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Lets all remember that the earth has been warming and cooling in cycles over a very long period of time, and has been doing so for a lot longer than we puny humans can take "credit" for. I don't doubt that all of the pollution we create is not good for us or for the planet, but I believe we over exaggerate our impact. All of this "sky is falling" stuff being promulgated by Messrs. Gore and company just makes me crazy.
Exactly.

I bet Santa knows this better than anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Economists are not scientists.

Hey! Economists are totally scientists! Maybe not relevant, but still scientists.

:p

Yes, it is totally irrelevant, but yes they are. If economists aren't scientists then neither are psychologists, sociologists, historians, etc. They're social scientists. They aren't climate scientists though. And I can't name any economists that I know of that disagree with the majority opinion on global warming.

EDIT: I figured I'd add this article from Scientific American to further prove my point. The Really Hard Science

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Ok, fine, but now many scientists agree? 200, 500, 4,000??? This is the classic "4 out of 5 doctors agree" marketing garbage you see in shady product advertisements. Anybody can round up enough people to agree with them in order to look more credible and impressive while completely ignoring those who don't agree. I don't know about you, but I feel pretty insulted that they think I could be swayed by such a common and weak ploy. Of course, as soon as I saw it was from the government, I knew it would be some knee-jerk garbage.

This was more of a response to the IPCC report Gore cited originally that cited many(a lot without their permission-some even had to sue to have their names removed. I don't want to stir up turmoil so I must say that I do agree a change must be made. I am just very glad that finally people may acknowledge this is a DEBATE. We have never known enough to predict or understand our fluctuating climate. 300 years ago the Delaware was choked with ice. Furthermore they used to harvest grapes in England. Things change. I personally cannot subscribe to a man's movement that makes him money without even following it himself.

Take everything you hear with a pinch of salt. All things have an agenda.

*done on a touch sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.