well PAINT MY LITTLE RED WAGON PINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
My husband came home yesterday with an iMac for me (saves me from buying one in the new year O:) So I am in iMac heaven right now (can't get over the simplicty/ease of it all!!!)

few questions (which I couldn't find answers to--some I did like dock info)

is there a copy/cut/paste feature on here?

really dumb question :eek: what's the apple key? is that the command key?

my adobe programs (lightroom & photoshop) are they transferable or do I need to get a mac license? please tell me I don't have to buy one?

That's it for now (pretty simple right) I'm sure there will be more info down the road.

oh & anyone have a blue ethernet cord they can loan me LOL I seem to have lost mine *eye roll* would love to start transfering over my files!!

eta
mine came with the disk to upgrade to leopard...should I or should I wait a few more months?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
My husband came home yesterday with an iMac for me (saves me from buying one in the new year O:) So I am in iMac heaven right now (can't get over the simplicty/ease of it all!!!)

few questions (which I couldn't find answers to--some I did like dock info)

is there a copy/cut/paste feature on here?

really dumb question :eek: what's the apple key? is that the command key?

my adobe programs (lightroom & photoshop) are they transferable or do I need to get a mac license? please tell me I don't have to buy one?

That's it for now (pretty simple right) I'm sure there will be more info down the road.

oh & anyone have a blue ethernet cord they can loan me LOL I seem to have lost mine *eye roll* would love to start transfering over my files!!

eta
mine came with the disk to upgrade to leopard...should I or should I wait a few more months?

1) & 2) copy and paste - [command/apple] + [x (cut), c (copy), z (paste)]

can't help you with the others. I'm still running Tiger and probably will be for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Copy/Cut/Paste as you know it on the PC does not exist on the Mac. You can Copy & Paste or Cut, not all 3.

Apple (Command) + C = Copy

Apple (Command) + V = Paste

I'm not sure about the Adobe stuff, but I don't think it is. I could be wrong though, lets hope I am.

I have a bunch of 8 foot Blue E-Net cables, but you have to come get it....;)

Reaction score
Dunno whether Adobe offers a platform-switch deal. If not, you could run Boot Camp, XP (Vista?) and the Windows versions.

I'm a member of the philosophers' school that says never run software with a version number ending in .0 — or the first iteration of it, no matter the number — especially when it's an entire system.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Adobe will allow you to switch platforms for licensed products up to three times. You should contact them to find out how you go about doing it.

It's probably best to do an erase and install with Leopard. There is no better time to do that than when the computer is new.

There's no sense in setting up your accounts/preferences and transferring all of your data only to erase it with a clean install in a few weeks or months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I'm not a networking professional, but wouldn't you need a crossover ethernet cable to get your file switching done like that?

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a networking professional, but wouldn't you need a crossover ethernet cable to get your file switching done like that?

hence the blue cord LOL

Thanks for the quick answers guys! much appreciated!!

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry about the "swear" I made an oopsie..I was too excited LOL but I do like the new edited title LMAO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can get crossover cables at any office supply or electronics stores. They aren't necessarily blue. I have an orange one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
Yellow cables are faster, by the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Actually, you don't need a crossover cable with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, you don't need a crossover cable with a Mac.

help out an extreme newbie here please.. I do not have wireless internet. I do have dsl (if that matters) I have 2 yellow cables (again if that matters) and a linksys router (the wireless aspect of it is done for )

walk me through step by (boy you need you hand held step) so that I can begin to transfer files from one computer to the next (hopefully w/o burning any dvds)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
help out an extreme newbie here please.. I do not have wireless internet. I do have dsl (if that matters) I have 2 yellow cables (again if that matters) and a linksys router (the wireless aspect of it is done for )

walk me through step by (boy you need you hand held step) so that I can begin to transfer files from one computer to the next (hopefully w/o burning any dvds)

Thanks!

Okay there are two very simple ways.

One is to use a external HD. Copy all the files from your PC to the external HD and then copy them from the external HD to your Mac.

Right click on your My Documents folder and select the sharing tab. Check to make sure the 'share this folder' check box is selected. Click apply.

Connect two machines directly with the network cable.

On the Mac your PC should show up in the 'Shared' section in Finder. Select it, input a user and password if applicable and begin copying your files to your Mac.

If your Mac runs Tiger you will have to navigate to the network folder via the 'Go' menu in the Finder.

hope thats clear.

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and if it doesn't show up in the shared section..what did i do wrong lol?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
and if it doesn't show up in the shared section..what did i do wrong lol?

On the PC get the IP address.
On the Mac in Finder hit CMD+K and enter smb://IPADDRESSHERE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.