well PAINT MY LITTLE RED WAGON PINK

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
no luck...I'll call apple care later today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Actually, you don't need a crossover cable with a Mac.

I didn't know that... How is it possible that you don't need a crossover?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
no luck...I'll call apple care later today

Hmm... can't think why it's not working, its always worked for me in the past, maybe I'm missing a step. Maybe on of the other guys could jump in here. There is the third option of just using a router to handle all the addressing... simple and virtually guaranteed to work.

I didn't know that... How is it possible that you don't need a crossover?

I don't know the exact reason or particulars but suffice it to say that different operating systems have different capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If both computers have a Wireless card, you don't need a wireless router....
You can turn the iMac into a wireless router.
Go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Connection. You should be able to setup a network name and password if you want a secure connection.
I used to broadcast a wireless signal from an older Core Duo iMac. It worked great. My Mac Pro didn't come with a wireless card and it's annoying to no longer have the Wireless signal even though I paid 2x as much for the computer.
If you don't have the ability to receive a wireless signal from your PC, sorry for the posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
As far as the Adobe licenses, I just called them up and they verified the serial number of my CS2 discs for Windows, then offered to send me a copy of CS2 for Mac. No hassles or complaints, very easy to deal with.

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I was speaking to a newly hired apple care rep.. she said I can't connect my computers and that I'd have to burn my files to a disk and upload them that way *um yeah ok*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
We have several guides for transferring files right here on this forum, but I'll admit, they're not easy to find as they're buried in threads just like these where people ask for help rather than serve as FAQs (hmm, this gives me an idea).

Anyway, your best bet would be to do an Erase and Install of Leopard onto your new Mac before anything else. Networking with Windows is far easier on Leopard than on Tiger. Once you upgrade, your Mac should detect machines on your network and you should be able to connect to them automatically.

However, if you really want to stick with Tiger, follow these directions:

First you connect your Mac and PC with an Ethernet cable. Then click on the Start button, hit Run, and when the little box pops up, type in "cmd" without the quotes. Then the command prompt should open (it's a black window). Type in "ipconfig" again without the quotes. You'll see your IP address (an example of what it looks like is 127.0.0.1).

Now that you have your PC's IP address, go back to your Mac. Close all programs. At the top, click on Go and then at the bottom, click on Connect to Server. A small window should pop up. In the little area where it says Server Address, type in the following:

smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Replace the x's with the IP address of your PC. Hit the Connect button. Wait a minute for the Mac to connect. Another window will pop up asking for login information. You can just leave this blank and another window will pop up asking which folder on your PC to access.

Usually you'll only see the Shared Documents folder, but you can enable file sharing on another folder/drive on your PC so you can access it from the Mac. If you need directions on how to share files on Windows, post here and we'll help you out.

You don't need to setup servers or do anything ridiculously complex just to transfer files, just follow some simple directions.

You can check out Apple's guide to transferring files if the above doesn't work for you, though I think it's been updated to reflect Leopard.

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info..I was just surprised that she said it could not be done kwim? I would love to upgrade to leopard but have heard enough to wait a few more upgrades (like maybe a 10.5.4 ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To tell you the truth, the vast majority of people out there have no issues with Leopard. There are very few cases and the only reason it seems as though there are a lot is because the vast majority of people come onto forums to complain or ask for help; very few actually come on to praise things. If that were the case, you'd have 98% of the threads saying nothing but praises for Leopard with the rest being complaints or issues, many of which are actually user issues.

If you do an Erase and Install, there is a 99.99% likelihood that it will be completely seamless. The many small updates make Leopard a worthy upgrade from Tiger.

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll wait a few more upgrades ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've installed it on 4 machines (3 PPC and 1 Intel) without a hitch myself....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've installed it on three, two Macbooks and an iMac. One was Erase and Install, one Archive and Install, and one was Upgrade. All work great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.