VMware Fusion VS. Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - OS X Lion 10.7 - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Bootcamp - Windows 7
I don't really see a difference, is one better than the other, which one do you guys recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I have tried Fusion, and returned to Parallels. The latest Parallels build has worked perfectly so far for me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - OS X Lion 10.7 - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Bootcamp - Windows 7
Well I mean whats is the difference, if there is any. Does one run faster than the other, or does one work better, or has better appearance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
i think it's more of a personal preference thing, you can d/l the trial versions of both and see which one you like more. I use fusion and love it, i think the interface in fusion is a bit easier to use but that just my opinion. both are wonderful programs

Reaction score
I've tried both and read reviews on both.. I've settled down with VMware's Fusion. Its been so long ago that i made my final decision to stay with fusion that I've forgotten why.. haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I chose Fusion also. I read many reviews stating that it runs better/faster overall and OS X runs faster with Fusion running than with Parallels. Also, Fusion is capable of using both cores of a dual core processor whereas Parallels can only use one, so Fusion basically will beat Parallels in running Windows apps all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The latest Fusion allows the VM's net interfaces to run in promiscuous mode. That's important to me. But if you don't know what that means it's probably not important to you =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can Fusion use an existing Boot Camp partition in the same way as Parallels does?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can Fusion use an existing Boot Camp partition in the same way as Parallels does?

Yes.

fleurya said:
I chose Fusion also. I read many reviews stating that it runs better/faster overall and OS X runs faster with Fusion running than with Parallels. Also, Fusion is capable of using both cores of a dual core processor whereas Parallels can only use one, so Fusion basically will beat Parallels in running Windows apps all the time.

Can you assign a core to a particular VM? Just curious - a feature like that would make me switch off Parallels (although I have given them a TON of money between buying it in Version 2 and upgrading to 3 just a few weeks later -ugh!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Can you assign a core to a particular VM? Just curious - a feature like that would make me switch off Parallels (although I have given them a TON of money between buying it in Version 2 and upgrading to 3 just a few weeks later -ugh!).

No, it's just a setting to make the client multi-processor-aware. When set to one, XP thinks you only have one. But you can see in activity monitor that both are being used equally.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, it's just a setting to make the client multi-processor-aware. When set to one, XP thinks you only have one. But you can see in activity monitor that both are being used equally.

Still pretty intriguing - I may have to play around with the demo again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

From the reviews of Fusion I've read, it can make full use of a dual core processor whereas Parallels cannot. And this is the processor option you have in Fusion's settings:

2238914577_a0d6a85162.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.